Synthetic oil?? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2005, 11:42 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A good point you make, I shoulda stated I look for the 2-4 percent power increase in syn's. Not their overall anti wear properties only.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2005, 12:07 PM

Last photo:

I got on the synthetic band wagon when I built my current engine for my truck. I fugured every little bit helps, within reason. I"m running Amsoil 10-30 and have passed 10,300 on it.
I'll be sending in a sample soon for testing. Hopefully I'll run it for a full year, 15,000 to 20,000 miles. I also run a Frantz sub-micronic bypass filter along with my Delco spin on. I've changed the spin-on filter 2 times and the TP in my Frantz 3 times. Each time, I cut the spin-on open and it was clean! Nothing inside but oil. When my Amsoil is gone, i'm going back to petro oil but keeping the same schedule. With proper filtration, I can get the same milage out of petro oil as with any synthetic, but at a much lower cost. Yesterday I picked up a case of Chevron for 49 cents a quart and Checker.
I have the Frantz on all 3 vehicles so that I can extend my oil changes because I"m tired of all the 5 gallon cans of used oil that stack up in my garage.

In a perfect world, most oils will last tens of thousands of miles without needing changing. The days of 3000 mile oil changes are fading fast. When asking people why they change it so often, most say, "cause my daddy did it that way and his daddy too!". Well, 50 years ago, you needed to change it that often. Engines ran dirty, air filters were crappy and gas sucked and most people drove on dirt roads. All that has changed with fuel injection and engines that run very clean.

Europe has had 7500 and 10,000 mile oil change intervals on their new cars for a few years now. Oil companies are seeing the shift in thinking and slowly making the advertising changes to reflect the reality of todays superior oils and effecient engines.

The whole thing boils down to personal preferance on vehicle maintance. If you want to do some really good reading on all kinds of oils and all brands of filters, Here is a good place.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:04 PM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsongrass1
I'll do what the cup guy's are doing, Ther R+D is second to none. 40 outa 50 teams are breaking in engines with Rotella diesel oil and running Mobil 1 full Syn oil 15-50 or 0-50 for restricted engines. It also what the top dirt teams are using. If it's good for them, it's good for me.
I had no idea that they are using that oil but I will tell you from experience that I already knew that as i've blown a few engines up from oil related issues. This is my other id> http://www.hotrodders.com/showpost.p...44&postcount=5
I know in my heart Amsoil is the best but not cost effective.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Supercharged T/A

Last photo:

I run a 20+k engine for drag racing
then change my oil almost montly when racing (when my car run ie summer time)

Using Valvoline 20-50, today i have pick up MoBil1 15-50,
over twice the price of standard oil btw..

But i guess i will stick on mobil1, now the breakin is well done
i will try to run only syn. on this engine.. But i'm a serious oil changer,
dont know how long i will keep it on the engine
May be when i will flush it i will keep it for my daily car i think
Old 06-18-2005, 05:39 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by x007
I run a 20+k engine for drag racing
then change my oil almost montly when racing (when my car run ie summer time)

Using Valvoline 20-50, today i have pick up MoBil1 15-50,
over twice the price of standard oil btw..

But i guess i will stick on mobil1, now the breakin is well done
i will try to run only syn. on this engine.. But i'm a serious oil changer,
dont know how long i will keep it on the engine
May be when i will flush it i will keep it for my daily car i think
You may not need to change the oil as often.
What you should do is on your next change have an oil analyst done for the $15 it will cost you it would be worth it for a couple of reasons.

Too see if your oil is still good (that will depend on clearances in engine such as bypass etc.)

Most important to see if your running the proper grade (also depends on how engine was built)

You may find your getting oil shearing with 15w50. (slight chance)
You made a good move on the change of brands and the biggest benefit will be the synthetic creates a positive charge and will stick and keep the parts protected for the once a week start up.
People get scared with oil weight and think thick but there were three cars that i know of last week at Pocono that ran the race with 5W30 Mobil 1.

Last edited by BarryK; 06-18-2005 at 05:49 AM.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:10 AM
Supercharged T/A

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK
You may not need to change the oil as often.
What you should do is on your next change have an oil analyst done for the $15 it will cost you it would be worth it for a couple of reasons.

Too see if your oil is still good (that will depend on clearances in engine such as bypass etc.)

Most important to see if your running the proper grade (also depends on how engine was built)

You may find your getting oil shearing with 15w50. (slight chance)
You made a good move on the change of brands and the biggest benefit will be the synthetic creates a positive charge and will stick and keep the parts protected for the once a week start up.
People get scared with oil weight and think thick but there were three cars that i know of last week at Pocono that ran the race with 5W30 Mobil 1.
i know the oil was probably still very good when i change it, but i'm still think when you hit hard on an engine the oil may loose lot of its original quality pretty quick, so my engine are too costly to take any chance whit that, i like fresh oil

btw since i run on the road then goes to the track (2hours road, & it still a street car), the 15-50 or 20-50 are heated when i race, and they are became thin when heated & my car are stored the winter, the 5-30 is like water even at cold temp, i dont like this very mutch even if i have 70psi oil press. i have never used thin oil in my life until now, i'm refraint a bit.. Unless someone can have serious valid reason to do so, i can't find reason to use light oil, more is the viscosity better is oil in my opignion.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:51 AM

Last photo:

I understand what your saying and that is why you should spend the money for an oil analysts so you know for sure.
Example:
The class action suit against Mercedes for not posting clear enough the oil had to be 0W30 or 0W40 Mobil-1 and these folks were putting in Castol 20-50 and engines were going south at 50,000 miles.
look at the Viper requirements, 4.6 fords and the Vettes were in the 5w-20 to 30 range.
The F250 diesel is sheering all 15w40 and even Mobil-1 15w50, this is being kept hush/hush but there are a lot of people working on the problem as this is a serious wear issue for the engine. Of all oils tested the Mobil-1 is holding up the best but after 2,000 miles the 15w50 is sheering to a 15w30 bad news. (this is only in the new f250 engine diesels)
IT ALL DEPENDS ON HOW ENGINE IS BUILT!

You have a lot of money in your engine so you should make sure you have the right grade. By the way 0W20 and 15W50 both have a Viscosity Index of about 8.

I really should not have posted this as don't want to piss anyone off, now the person that printed the previous letter (Amway or Amosoil) should be pissed on and I did, so I'm leaving this thing alone. good luck.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:16 AM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK
IT ALL DEPENDS ON HOW ENGINE IS BUILT!
Doesn't it depend on driving conditions above all else?
Who do you work for?
Old 06-18-2005, 11:42 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXS
Doesn't it depend on driving conditions above all else?
Who do you work for?
Yes, BUT of most importance how the engine was built!
This was unimportant 15 years ago, today its of 1st importance
2nd is driving habits and temperature.

I no longer work for an oil company, formulated and worked in testing for around three years. Hated the geeks I worked with and had to go!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:38 AM

Synthetic Oil Amsoil

I have been using Amsoil for over twenty years and have never had a problem with it. As to the 15000 mile oil change with filter every six, that is not how it was explained to me. We spin of a filter every 5000 miles, top of to full and run again until changing at 15000 miles. They also say you should use this technique if you have their remote oil filter system installed also. Personally I have also used the rule of thumb that if I could not see the dip stick through the oil it was time to dump it. I have used it in two cycle to aircraft, and when I tore my engine down it was not due to lubrication failure, but a design flaw with the Ford 5.0 engine with its short stroke. The bottom of the cylinders were egg shaped. If not for that I would not have had to do anything other than re-ring and go on. Had the cleanest engine I have ever tore down except for the abnormal wear. Ford tells me they have fixed that issue with their newer 5.0's so we will see. As to the two stroke I still mix mine 100 to 1, and I am still using those items today. Since I started using synthetics that is all I will have in anything I run, but you still have to use common sense, dirty oil does not work worth a crap. Clean synthetic and you will see the dip stick clearly through the oil, when you can not make out the dip stick then change the oil.

That's my story and I am sticking to it. Amsoil or Mobile 1 100% Synthetic or any other brand is the way to go, but you still need to use common sense. Clean oil lubricates, dirty oil wears and heats up.

Michael F. "BEAR" Cooper
Flybear2000
Old 02-23-2012, 05:05 PM
Footbraker

Last photo:

7yr old thread.........

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.