Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Synthetic vs "Real" oil (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/synthetic-vs-real-oil-13237.html)

slomotion 02-20-2002 11:36 AM

Synthetic vs "Real" oil

I'm new to this forum so this subject may have already been debated. Other than the obvious cost difference, what are the opinions on synthetic vs fossil oil?

Jooooooe 02-20-2002 04:08 PM

Just for giggles I tried some syntec in my company truck, a 93 Ford F-150 6 cylinder with 300,000 miles on it. I understood that the synthetic oil was supposed to reduce friction and since I was having trouble with it getting warm while towing my hot rod I decided to try it. The results, lower overall engine temperature and it has also gone from using a quart of oil every other tank to almost burning no oil at all. Thats what I know from personal experience, not sure if I'd wanna' use it in my rod but I guess it wouldn't hurt.

liquid_larry 02-20-2002 04:53 PM

Synthetics win in all areas,they flow easier in cold weather. Reduce friction, less wear and better gas mileage. Runs cooler than regular lubes. Use it in your driver,tow vehical,race car,lawn mower. Engine,transmission, rearend, you won't be dissapointed it is worth the extra money especially in high load high heat situations.

Paco 02-20-2002 05:49 PM

Don't know if the stuff is any good or not, but I use Mobil 1 in my wife's 2001 300M Chrysler, my Corvette TPI powered '92 Silverado pickup, and my small block GM 350 powered '40 Buick streetrod. May even change my Kohler powered Craftsman mower over to it this year. Yea, I think it works and is well worth the extra money up front. If you calculate it all out and service the vehicles the way I do, you will actually save money on the product over a period of time. I change the oil filter and add a fresh quart every 3000 miles, and change all the oil and filter every 12000 miles. It has worked for me like this for awhile with close to 180K miles logged on all three vehicles, see no reason to change back to OPEC supplied products.

Jim Weeks 02-20-2002 08:51 PM

Try this test for yourself. Get a quart of regular motor oil and a quart of synthetic oil. Put both in the freezer for 24 hours. Take the tops off and turn both up side down, and you will see a tramendous difference. The synthetic pours right out while the regular motor oil barely moves.

The only bad experience I have had with it was on a high milage car I had was using about a quart of regular motor oil once every two months. When I switched over to the synthetic I started using oil at twice that rate so I went back to the regular motor oil in that case because I couldn't afford to keep putting synthetic oil in the car at $4.50 quart.

roys63 02-21-2002 02:24 AM

I have used syntec in some air cooled motors, gen. and VWs With real good results lower temps.
What do you guys think about running a new motor with synthetic, for breakin,after the first hour with reg motor oil, Do you think that the rings seat OK ? Thanks

57Chevyman 02-21-2002 04:10 AM

Have not made the switch yet but I am all for it. With the right filters you can do away with the 3-6k oilchange. Just replace the filter and top off the case.

slomotion 02-21-2002 02:51 PM

Thanks for all the input guys! I appreciate it. Synth looks like the way to go. The first thing I'm going to put it in is my 8BA. I have enough base-line on it that any changes will show up pretty quick. Thanks again
Tim

Henry Highrise 02-21-2002 03:57 PM

I have been using Castrol Syntec Blend for a few years now. It is a blend of synthetic and fossil oil. The best of both worlds I guess. The reason I do not use full Synthetic is because of the price. It will handle more heat and pressure and also is very slick, thus reducing friction, that is why it runs cooler. When I bought my 99 Z-71 new, I put 3000 miles on it with the factory break-in oil and then switched to the synthetic blend. My neighbor has a 2000 Z-71 and he broke his in the same way and then switched to full synthetic. I recommend running 3000 with the oil that came in them if new or same thing with a re-built engine run regular oil untill that first oil change and then switch. Reason being on some bulldozier engines that I rebuilt we tried break-in with synthetic and had trouble getting the rings to seat, probably because it is so slick. I think it is good oil and definately the way to go.