Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Synthetic vs "Real" oil
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2002, 04:57 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I have been using Castrol Syntec Blend for a few years now. It is a blend of synthetic and fossil oil. The best of both worlds I guess. The reason I do not use full Synthetic is because of the price. It will handle more heat and pressure and also is very slick, thus reducing friction, that is why it runs cooler. When I bought my 99 Z-71 new, I put 3000 miles on it with the factory break-in oil and then switched to the synthetic blend. My neighbor has a 2000 Z-71 and he broke his in the same way and then switched to full synthetic. I recommend running 3000 with the oil that came in them if new or same thing with a re-built engine run regular oil untill that first oil change and then switch. Reason being on some bulldozier engines that I rebuilt we tried break-in with synthetic and had trouble getting the rings to seat, probably because it is so slick. I think it is good oil and definately the way to go.