Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

T-350 Anti-Clunk/Case-Saver Failed?

9K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Crosley 
#1 ·
I have a TH350 behind a 6-71-huffed SBC (500 hp +/-) in a 1900# T-bucket. The tranny is a TCI Super StreetFighter that has been rebuilt by a local race tranny builder after the supposedly-hardened intermediate sprag race failed after 1000 miles (another story :pain: ). The tranny has about 2000 miles since local rebuild. This car is not raced, but I do get on it pretty good from time to time.

Within the last several hundred miles the tranny has begun "clanking" when dropping into first (either by hand shifting or auto down-shifting when coming to a stop). Using a stethoscope I've been able to isolate the clank to the center-support area of the tranny case. From what little I know about the guts of a 350, I suspect the anti-clunk spring, if there is one, has broken or dislodged, or if there is a case-saver, it isn't doing its job for whatever reason. The guy who rebuilt my tranny has moved out of the area, and I can't get his input.

My question is this... I'm leaving tomorrow for a week-long cruise where I will be putting maybe 1000 miles on the T. What is the worst that can happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.