T-350 bad converter? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2009, 02:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

T-350 bad converter?

When a converter goes bad will it make a noise?

I have a horrific noise coming from the transmission my truck and I am 99% sure its the converter... truck is a s-10 with a 327/Th350 shorttail

It sounds like a bad ball bearing, or like the gear is coming out of the starter and tapping the flexplate...its a nasty rattle. It only makes the noise under part throttle, and gear doesn't matter. When the noise begins, more throttle will make noise disappear.

Starter is tight. No abnoral wear on teeth of flexplate. Return spring on gear feels ok.
New trans (thanks to family member!) and noise continues
When I swaped trans' I checked flexplate for cracks and none were visible
Converter bolts are tight and lock-tighted
inspection cover is not present
Truck does't feel like it is "floating" down the road either....

when I drained fluid out of old trans during swap it was very metallic. there was a large chunk of metal laying in the pan as well. I assumed something insie the trans broke, so i tore down trans to confirm my suspicion and nothing looked broke. Now I am wondering if the metal was a fin from the converter....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2009, 02:13 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

I have seen them make some pretty good noise before. And when it decides to go you won't be able to it can lock everthing up.
Cole
Old 11-21-2009, 02:25 PM

and when i pull the trans again to replace the converter i would be stupid if i didnt replace the flexplate as well right
Old 11-21-2009, 04:08 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

well that depends

does the plate have any run out

or crack in it?

if neither than it should be fine

but if you have another one laying around then maybe you should try that.

what kinda noise you hearing?

screechin or grinding or?

in gear? out of gear?

idling?

maybe pump is messed up

i have never seen any RWD auto trans make any kind of fron noise other than a cracked broken flexplate

but i have seen many many front wheel drive auto trannies with front noise, converter or pump bad., just like in the 01 aurora we have. we replced the trans in it last week with a good used lower miles unit.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:38 PM

Last photo:

Did you look real close around crank bolts for cracks in flexplate? That is where the cracks usually are.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:42 PM

i looked as best as I could around the crank bolts for cracks and saw none. I only hear the noise in gear. The noise sounds more like a rattle than anything else. It actually sounds exactly like a marble in a tin can. The trans is fresh so I doubt the pump is bad, and I have had the same noise with the old trans and the fresh trans. The trans shifts up and shifts down fine. It doesn't smell like its burning, no slippage or anything either
Old 11-21-2009, 08:56 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi Gunther,
When you changed the trans previously did you change the converter at that time also? if not then any metal or friction material that was in the converter may be floating around doing damage.
Rich
PS I went back & reread your post, you didn't change the converter is what I get from reading your post, if that's the case then that's your problem metal & friction material being pumped through the transmission & doing damage mostly to the pump,
you can't clean a converter unless you take it apart, cleaning by flushing doesn't really work.
Good luck,
Rich

Last edited by richard stewart 3rd; 11-21-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:51 AM

you are correct. when swapped trans' I didnt swap converters- A. to save a couple bucks and b. because I really thought the prob was inside the trans.
I thought it was the gearset in the pump. I drained the converter as best as I could....

I drove the truck for a couple miles with the fresh trans to see if I could pinpoint the noise, but now it is parked because I do not want to chew this trans up as well!!!!

I am really hoping someone else has had a similar problem and knows if it was the converter....
Old 11-22-2009, 07:25 AM
johnnykool6 / fast unlimited

Last journal entry: Blown S-10 for sale
Last photo:

Had a similar sounding prob, with a broken flex plate, AND the t.c. Tranny guy told me some 'fins' let go in my t.c. Had metal chips in the filter also. Bought new B&M Saturday Night Special t.c, 2800 stall I believe,and th400, and never put them in! Still have it in the box. I sold the truck for parts and scrap! P.m. me if you want. (not far from jersey)
Old 11-22-2009, 11:12 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNTHER19820
you are correct. when swapped trans' I didnt swap converters- A. to save a couple bucks and b. because I really thought the prob was inside the trans.
I thought it was the gearset in the pump. I drained the converter as best as I could....

I drove the truck for a couple miles with the fresh trans to see if I could pinpoint the noise, but now it is parked because I do not want to chew this trans up as well!!!!

I am really hoping someone else has had a similar problem and knows if it was the converter....
I don't think the noise could come from the converter. I can't say I've heard a converter sound like marbles in a can. After 25 years of daily transmission grind. Except for Powerstoke torque converters, but thats a whole different reason. Normally the converters just make grinding/whinning noises or contaminate the trans. Crank thrust been checked?
Old 11-25-2009, 06:24 AM

hey rexnfx....

With the time you have spent in the transmission world, when you have heard a converter grinding would it only do it in gear, or would it do in in park/neutral as well?
Old 11-25-2009, 08:49 AM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Gunther,
No matter how you twist & turn that trans & converter need to come out & gone through & throughly cleaned (including the cooling lines & the cooler in the radiator) & replace all that's been torn up,(converter,pump,etc.) also every time you start this vehicle your doing more damage.
Rich
Old 11-25-2009, 09:09 AM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:

Turbo 350 tranny have a habbit of having blown sprag assembly. It is there weakest link.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:19 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNTHER19820
hey rexnfx....

With the time you have spent in the transmission world, when you have heard a converter grinding would it only do it in gear, or would it do in in park/neutral as well?
Converter grind: There is so many reasons why a converter can fail. And for one person, even with many years of experience, to think they have seen it all. Will make one eat humble pie when you least expect it Anyways, I can't think of a specific noise that would say a converter is bad. It comes down to knowing what other sources are NOT the cause also. Converter can make noise only in gear or only in park, or both. It can make noise only during stall or during coupling, or in between somewhere.

I know we like to work on our own stuff. I don't call a plumber or electrician to fix my house, unless complete last resort and I'm sick of the job or don't want to learn another trade. Maybe its time to have a real pro take a listen to it? The person should have vast knowledge of diagnosing power-train noise. It may take the person walking to the parking lot and listening to it or they may charge to diagnose it if its not a well known noise. Any noise can be evasive and hard to trace, even for people with experience and noise listening equipment.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:43 AM

the two local trans shops both listened to it when I had the old trans in it and both said the same thing "We need to tear the thing open to find out what the noise is. $75/hr"... I completley understand why they said that, its just money is a bit tight and like you said, unless it is a last resort.....

I think I am going to throw a converter and flexplate in it, and if that doesn't fix it, then I will pay them to check it out. The converter and flexplate are the only 2 items that didnt get swaped when I swapped the trans so i AM HOPING THEY ARE THE GREMLIN

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.