Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   T-350 cables questions (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/t-350-cables-questions-225956.html)

clayfromthebay 11-10-2012 10:47 PM

T-350 cables questions

So here is what I am working with: 1970 Chevy C-10 Pickup, 383 engine with 4160 holley carb. I have the engine almost complete, just having trouble hooking up the TH350 transmission.

I am here on this forum to look for help and get my truck running correctly instead of starting it and accidentally having it run through my wall. It is fair to assume I dont have any of the cables or brackets and need to purchase everything new.

So far the transmission is in and connected to the engine with a torque converter spun on correctly. I've only put the transmission dipstick in and connected the cooler lines. I connected a line off the side of the transmission which I think is the speedometer.

I'm new to working on transmissions so I'm not totally sure what I need to do next. Theres the shift linkage, detent/TV cable, kickdown cable, vaccuum modulator? I'm just not sure which cables go where, what brackets I need, and there is a B&M shifter that is mounted in the truck but I'm not too sure what to attach to it. How much stuff do I need to hook up this transmission? Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

cobalt327 11-11-2012 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clayfromthebay (Post 1609781)
So here is what I am working with: 1970 Chevy C-10 Pickup, 383 engine with 4160 holley carb. I have the engine almost complete, just having trouble hooking up the TH350 transmission.

I am here on this forum to look for help and get my truck running correctly instead of starting it and accidentally having it run through my wall. It is fair to assume I dont have any of the cables or brackets and need to purchase everything new.

So far the transmission is in and connected to the engine with a torque converter spun on correctly. I've only put the transmission dipstick in and connected the cooler lines. I connected a line off the side of the transmission which I think is the speedometer.

I'm new to working on transmissions so I'm not totally sure what I need to do next. Theres the shift linkage, detent/TV cable, kickdown cable, vaccuum modulator? I'm just not sure which cables go where, what brackets I need, and there is a B&M shifter that is mounted in the truck but I'm not too sure what to attach to it. How much stuff do I need to hook up this transmission? Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

You want to run a vacuum line from the intake to the modulator. The vacuum source has to be manifold vacuum. You can use any vacuum port on the intake or carb that has full engine vacuum when the engine is idling (that's what is meant by manifold vacuum, ported vacuum is only there when the throttle blades are open, and is only used in some cases for the vacuum advance on the distributor).

The detent cable (aka kickdown cable) should be already there, attached to the transmission. If not, you will need to buy one. The end of the detent cable gets hooked to the carb throttle plate below the center line of the throttle shaft so the cable is pulled out when the throttle is opened. Conversely, the throttle cable is attached above the c/l so it pulls the throttle blades open. BTW, a TV cable isn't used on a TH350.

The throttle bracket (if you don't have one yet) can be bought from the aftermarket. Edelbrock and others sells them, you want a bracket for the throttle cable and the detent cable. I'm guessing you don't have cruise control but if you do they sell a bracket that includes it, too. If you are using a stock intake you can use the stock bracket unless it's the type that bolts onto the back bolts of the carb. In that case you can use the aftermarket bracket or modify the stock one to work.

The B&M shifter uses their own bracket and shifter arm. You can but the parts needed from Summit: B&M Transmission Brackets and Levers 35498 - SummitRacing.com. B&M has installation instruction for the various shifters online to help you w/that. Pick out the model you have then click on more details and you'll see the link for the instructions: Performance Automatic Shifters | B&M Racing and Performance Products

Good luck.

cobalt327 11-11-2012 05:37 AM

To adjust the detent cable, you unlock the cable by lifting up on the lock located near the carb end of the cable, then w/the cable unlocked you open the throttle wide open, then snap the lock back down to hold the adjustment you just made by opening the throttle wide open. There are videos and text on this online if you need more.