Hot Rod Forum banner

T-350 cooler line fittings and size?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Crosley 
#1 ·
I have new sideflow radiator and I will install new oil lines as you say: the bottom fitting on tranny is the outlet to the rad but I am guessing the it will connect to the upper female connection on the new sideflow rad. The sideflow has a tank on the right side with two available connections one over the other which are designed to accept a flared copper line. I am thinking the line should be 1/4 inch. Yours thoughts? Thx Ed

#2 ·
I agree w/you to run the lower tranny outlet to the top of the radiator's tranny cooler fitting (going on the principal that cooler fluid sinks).

I would prefer you to use at least 5/16" lines. 3/8" would be even better, but might be a chore to bend to fit.

There are braided stainless steel line kits that use -6 (3/8") AN fittings and hose. They're over $100 last time I looked, though.

Good luck.

#4 ·
Ed... I moved your new question to a fresh thread here.

please do not add your question to another thread. It can confuse members whom do not notice what has happened and you may not receive many answers.

Cooler line for the t-350 is common 5/16 inch steel line with double flare at the end. Auto parts stores have it, usually call it hydraulic line or may also call it brake line.

The cooler system of the transmission T-350 is under pressure. You can hook the lines up either way you wish on the radiator. The common thought of hooking to the top on a radiator trans oil cooler does not apply. The T-350 cooler line pressure runs 20 - 60 psi on a stock configured T-350

:thumbup:

#5 · (Edited)
A radiator has the upper inlet introducing the hot coolant from the engine into the radiator. The lower outlet back into the engine is cooler- the coolant has been cooled by the radiator before going back into the engine.

It only makes sense to run the tranny cooler the same way, hot fluid into the upper inlet, the cooler fluid back out the bottom back to the tranny. Maybe it's a coincidence that this is exactly how my OEM radiator/tranny cooler is plumbed from the factory?

Will it make a huge diff? No, it won't. But if you're plumbing it from scratch, why not take every advantage that's available? It doesn't cost one cent more.

#6 ·
I also have to reiterate that it IS under a great deal of pressure and you MUST use the appropriate hose to connect the tubing together if you aren't making a full hard line.

Brian

#7 ·
I demonstrate this often when we have group tours at the shop. I show folks how high cooler line pressure can get on a transmission with the use of the transmission dyno we have.

Then I ask how many folks have only rubber hose for cooler lines. From the looks on folks faces, there is more rubber lines than the hands raised.

Often folks ask about trans oil cooler placement. I explain the cooler line flow, air flow and pressure in the lines. Many street rods have trans oil coolers under the vehicle. Actually the same information applies to most 3 speed domestic transmissions. I am glad they ask questions so they can have professional answers to guide them.

:pimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.