T-350 cooler line fittings and size? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 11:19 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

T-350 cooler line fittings and size?

I have new sideflow radiator and I will install new oil lines as you say: the bottom fitting on tranny is the outlet to the rad but I am guessing the it will connect to the upper female connection on the new sideflow rad. The sideflow has a tank on the right side with two available connections one over the other which are designed to accept a flared copper line. I am thinking the line should be 1/4 inch. Yours thoughts? Thx Ed

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 12:10 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenfords View Post
I have new sideflow radiator and I will install new oil lines as you say: the bottom fitting on tranny is the outlet to the rad but I am guessing the it will connect to the upper female connection on the new sideflow rad. The sideflow has a tank on the right side with two available connections one over the other which are designed to accept a flared copper line. I am thinking the line should be 1/4 inch. Yours thoughts? Thx Ed
I agree w/you to run the lower tranny outlet to the top of the radiator's tranny cooler fitting (going on the principal that cooler fluid sinks).

I would prefer you to use at least 5/16" lines. 3/8" would be even better, but might be a chore to bend to fit.

There are braided stainless steel line kits that use -6 (3/8") AN fittings and hose. They're over $100 last time I looked, though.

Good luck.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:21 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

copper cracks

over time vibration will cause cracks in copper tibing, copper would let you bend by hand then use as a pattern to use with a bender and steel tubing.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:32 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenfords View Post
Ed... I moved your new question to a fresh thread here.

please do not add your question to another thread. It can confuse members whom do not notice what has happened and you may not receive many answers.

Cooler line for the t-350 is common 5/16 inch steel line with double flare at the end. Auto parts stores have it, usually call it hydraulic line or may also call it brake line.

The cooler system of the transmission T-350 is under pressure. You can hook the lines up either way you wish on the radiator. The common thought of hooking to the top on a radiator trans oil cooler does not apply. The T-350 cooler line pressure runs 20 - 60 psi on a stock configured T-350

Old 11-25-2012, 11:16 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

A radiator has the upper inlet introducing the hot coolant from the engine into the radiator. The lower outlet back into the engine is cooler- the coolant has been cooled by the radiator before going back into the engine.

It only makes sense to run the tranny cooler the same way, hot fluid into the upper inlet, the cooler fluid back out the bottom back to the tranny. Maybe it's a coincidence that this is exactly how my OEM radiator/tranny cooler is plumbed from the factory?

Will it make a huge diff? No, it won't. But if you're plumbing it from scratch, why not take every advantage that's available? It doesn't cost one cent more.

Last edited by cobalt327; 11-25-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:04 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,192 Times in 1,051 Posts
I also have to reiterate that it IS under a great deal of pressure and you MUST use the appropriate hose to connect the tubing together if you aren't making a full hard line.

Brian
Old 11-25-2012, 02:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I also have to reiterate that it IS under a great deal of pressure and you MUST use the appropriate hose to connect the tubing together if you aren't making a full hard line.

Brian
I demonstrate this often when we have group tours at the shop. I show folks how high cooler line pressure can get on a transmission with the use of the transmission dyno we have.

Then I ask how many folks have only rubber hose for cooler lines. From the looks on folks faces, there is more rubber lines than the hands raised.

Often folks ask about trans oil cooler placement. I explain the cooler line flow, air flow and pressure in the lines. Many street rods have trans oil coolers under the vehicle. Actually the same information applies to most 3 speed domestic transmissions. I am glad they ask questions so they can have professional answers to guide them.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.