T-350 with a electrical connector? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009, 08:46 PM
if it can go wrong it will

Wiki Edits: 0

T-350 with a electrical connector?

Im putting together my first 2wd truck and ran into something ive never come across in any of my 9 4wd trucks.Im trying to install a turbo 350 but after purchasing it and puting it in the truck i realized it had a 4wire plug im taking is for a converter lockup like on 700r4.Can i still run this transmission without the plug my truck doesnt have one. Plus im running a 3000 stall if that matters.
Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Short box ... Welcome to Hotrodders.com

When posting a new thread , please give these guys an idea what the subject matter is inside the thread.

I edited the thread title for you

Old 08-11-2009, 12:02 AM

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Wiki Edits: 85

All 350s starting about 1980 had electrical connectors for converter lockup.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:24 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short_box
Can i still run this transmission without the plug my truck doesnt have one. Plus im running a 3000 stall if that matters.
You have a TH350 "C" (lock-up TC) tranny.

If the 3000 stall TC isn't a lock-up model, the tranny will need modified to use the non lock-up TC, IIRC. You might be better off starting off w/a non lock-up TH 350 tranny in the first place but this depends on prices for modding the "C" tranny compared to the cost of a different, good TH350 non "C" core.

A lock-up TC will function not locked up, BUT they slip quite a bit more when not locked up than a non lock-up TC- so heat will be higher, and efficiency lower w/o lock up.

The difference between not locked up and locked up is several hundred RPM; you feel the lock-up as if the tranny shifted into another gear in actual use- it's that noticeable- at least in my '80 Malibu wagon that has a TH350 C.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:44 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

For completeness, I want to add that while the TH350 in this thread is correctly identified as a TH350C with lockup converter, there IS another type of TH350 with an electrical connector. During the 1970s, GM used an early emission system called Transmission Controlled Spark (TCS). This system disabled the distributor vacuum advance in all gears except high gear (third in the case of the TH350). A trans from one of these vehicles will have a single wire electrical connector that was the signal from a pressure switch in the trans. This was used to operate a solenoid valve that controlled vacuum to the distributor. Again, not the trans in the original question, but another one to look out for.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:23 PM

Is there anyway to get the plug from the junk yard and just send power to to it or tie wires together and confuse it to make it think its hooked up? I know nothing about this lockup junk. I drove it for the first time today and it definatly acts wierd and takes its sweet time shifting or whatever it was trying to do. I have another one when i get the money im gonna have it built im just trying to find a cheap fix to ride on till i can get the other one done.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:35 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short_box
Is there anyway to get the plug from the junk yard and just send power to to it or tie wires together and confuse it to make it think its hooked up? I know nothing about this lockup junk. I drove it for the first time today and it definatly acts wierd and takes its sweet time shifting or whatever it was trying to do. I have another one when i get the money im gonna have it built im just trying to find a cheap fix to ride on till i can get the other one done.
You can hook up the detent cable correctly and make sure the modulator is hooked up to a manifold vacuum source and that the mod. is good.

If you do all that, the tranny will (if it's good in the first place) shift and drive exactly like any TH350 will- except the TC will slip a couple hundred RPM more than a stock TC would.

If the tranny is shifting weird or whatever w/all the proper adjustments and vac. line hook-ups, the tranny has probs.

The pressure switch for spark control was on the passenger side of the tranny (the TCC 2- or 4-prong connector is on the drivers side. Even though only two wires are used to control the lock-up) and is a single wired switch threaded into a pressure port near where the cooler lines are located- up towards the bell housing. In the case of this switch, you can remove and plug the port. I've heard of there being a temp sender in this area as well but have not actually seen such a thing yet.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:17 PM
More for Less Racer

If the 3000 stall converter was not made for the lock-up trans, you will quickly ruin both converter and trans. The input shaft is different and not interchangable.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:05 PM

Thanks im gonna rock it as long as i can its just a weekend play toy for now hopefully it will last bout a month till i can gather the money to build another the way i want. Thanks again guys.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:09 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

As Eric said, if you plan to run this converter later it won`t be usable if you continue to run it and I think you`ll be rather upset at having to buy another converter. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:25 PM

I got ya.....oh well that sucks but atleast it is a used converter and i only picked it up for 25 bucks but still dont like throwing money away but plan to order a nice TCI converter when i build my new one. This is gonna come off retarded but is that why the rpms change so much goin down the road and shifts really soft and slow? Im dumb when it comes to a trans. Thanks again im learning alot and yall are alot of help with this.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.