T-350 has me stumped (Is this a T-350 or T-350c?) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2011, 08:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

T-350 has me stumped (Is this a T-350 or T-350c?)

I picked up this trans the other day, it was behind a Chevy pickup with a 350 Olds Diesel infront of it.

I assumed it was a th350c because of this plug and the MV4 on the side.

*Plug looks like two prong plug, but it only has one wire, i checked when pan was off, other spot is just blank*

But when i pulled the convertor i found this

Also, My 3500 Stall from our th400 fits right on.

So if this is a regular old th350, what the heck is the plug for?

ANY help would be awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011, 08:28 PM

Last photo:

i believe u have a th350c i just bought a trans out a monte carlo with 6" shaft no plug and says gm35 on the pump!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:05 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastOrange
I picked up this trans the other day, it was behind a Chevy pickup with a 350 Olds Diesel infront of it.

I assumed it was a th350c because of this plug and the MV4 on the side.

*Plug looks like two prong plug, but it only has one wire, i checked when pan was off, other spot is just blank*

But when i pulled the convertor i found this

Also, My 3500 Stall from our th400 fits right on.

So if this is a regular old th350, what the heck is the plug for?

ANY help would be awesome!
its a converted to non- lockup 350. done that to a lot when people who had poor running engines and would rather pay for the conversion on a trans rebuild than to fix the engine right. what would happen is a vibration would come in when the converter clutch engaged and people would think its the trans. they would come in and say "i have a vibration on the last shift".
Old 05-31-2011, 09:16 PM

Last photo:

damn i wouldnt even had noticed that!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:33 PM

This all makes sense now, because the tranny looks like it had been rebuilt at one time, the convertor it came with looked new.

So is this a good or bad thing?
Old 05-31-2011, 09:38 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
This all makes sense now, because the tranny looks like it had been rebuilt at one time, the convertor it came with looked new.

So is this a good or bad thing?
unless you pull the pan and can positively identify that they did the change over correctly, you really wont know till you try it. have you dropped the pan and checked for debris?
the paint may be nice, and may have shown care, but in the end, a pan drop is a easy quick way to tell if it seems to be in decent shape, or its loaded with metal and probably not worth the effort.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsmith10
unless you pull the pan and can positively identify that they did the change over correctly, you really wont know till you try it. have you dropped the pan and checked for debris?
the paint may be nice, and may have shown care, but in the end, a pan drop is a easy quick way to tell if it seems to be in decent shape, or its loaded with metal and probably not worth the effort.
i painted it up, it looked like this when i got it.

I pulled the pan, fluid was nice and red, no burnt smell, everything looked super clean, Filter looked awesome as well.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:56 PM

How do i tell if it was done proper?
Old 05-31-2011, 10:04 PM

And also, if i want to order a shiftkit, do i get one for a th350c or th350?
Old 06-01-2011, 02:39 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
And also, if i want to order a shiftkit, do i get one for a th350c or th350?
The tranny, including the valve body, etc. will still be the "C". The changes to make the C able to use a non lockup converter are to the pump and input shaft/drum and a couple other small mods, so my guess would be to use the one for the TH350C- but I would almost expect that the tranny would have been kitted when the other mods were made.

If it were me I would try it as-is first to avoid any possible conflict w/shift kit-type mods that may have already been done to it and the addition of more/different mods to the valves and separator plate/gaskets, etc. Hopefully tnsmith10 will have a definitive answer for you.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:47 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
The tranny, including the valve body, etc. will still be the "C". The changes to make the C able to use a non lockup converter are to the pump and input shaft/drum and a couple other small mods, so my guess would be to use the one for the TH350C- but I would almost expect that the tranny would have been kitted when the other mods were made.

If it were me I would try it as-is first to avoid any possible conflict w/shift kit-type mods that may have already been done to it and the addition of more/different mods to the valves and separator plate/gaskets, etc. Hopefully tnsmith10 will have a definitive answer for you.
other than the lock up valve blocked off, theres a small plate thats bolted down next to the lock up valve body. it should have an 1/8th" hole drilled roughly in the center of it. other than that, it looks like the input drum and stator have been swapped out like their supposed to be, so other than that it should work fine.
as far as the shift kit goes, like cobalt said, you want a "c" kit, because of the case. other than that, ive never kitted a converted 350, i just did some minor internal things to firm up shifts. like pull the 2-3 accumulator spring out of the valve body, and then also take a 5/16 stud a little over an inch long, and put in a pressure port, just above the 1-2 accumulator, and it blocks off fluid to the 1-2 accumulator for a firmer 1-2 shift.

theres more stuff out there, you may also want to check the sticky thread jakeshoe has about building a 350, lot of useful info there.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:18 PM

Here is the valve body, Thoughts?

And thanks for the help guys!

Old 06-02-2011, 06:52 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Here is the valve body, Thoughts?

And thanks for the help guys!

the plate below the kick down assembly is supposed to have a 1/8th" hole drilled through it and i dont see it. also, i usually snip the wires off of the lock up solenoid to show that the trans has been converted, which also isnt the case with this trans. id pull off the lock up valve body and make sure that the lock up valve has been blocked off.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:03 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

tnsmith10, what would be the result if someone were to have just swapped out the hard parts, but didn't block off the lock up or drill the hole you mentioned, etc.? Could the trans actually function, you think?
Old 06-02-2011, 07:14 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
tnsmith10, what would be the result if someone were to have just swapped out the hard parts, but didn't block off the lock up or drill the hole you mentioned, etc.? Could the trans actually function, you think?
well, in all honesty i dont have an answer for that. i learned to do the changeover when i was young and never saw anyone do it differently or tell me what could happen if these things i mentioned werent done. if i remember correctly, the hole was drilled for drain/pressure relief, id imagine from the t.c.c. oil that has no place to go. mind you, i learned how to do this at a young age, without being given full info on why. i just knew it worked, and didnt have any problems with the conversions i did. even had a 79 phoenix that i had a lock up case for but it never came with t.c.c., so i built as a conversion. the wife and her daughter drove it for 4+ years, and never had a single problem with it.
pretty sad that i know more inside of other transmissions better, along with how they work better than the 1st trans i learned how to build...

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.