Hot Rod Forum banner

T-350 rebuild

721 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  1979GMCBeauville 
#1 ·
I have a custom "a- team" style GMC Beauville. I just rebuilt the transmission (only clutch plates, seals and steels) the rest was in good shape but there was no surfaces left on forward moving clutch plates. I have it all back together and in the van. It is operated via a chevy 350 small block. Before I go ruining all the hard work I have put in, what do I do next to ensure that I cam get the van to move? I heard something about priming the system? Do I have to bleed out the air? How much fluid will I need? (Yes everything went back in to the trans as i replaced portions) THERE WERE NO EXTRA PARTS I FORGOT TO INSTALL. Please help me learn what to do next. It is my daily driver and I need to get her rolling again.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I imagine without enough fluid it wont move? Do i run the fluid until it gets hot before adding more fluid? And ive been working on this thing alone, so i may have put the transmission cooling lines in the wrong order on the transmission itself. The lower line out of the trans is going to the top of my radiator just below the fill cap. The upper port is connected to the low end of the radiator.

#6 ·
Do what stuarts said. Don't try to drive until you have fluid visable on the dipstick. Then put the transmission in drive just to let it engage. Then put it in reverse and just let it engage. Then check the fluid level. I like to have it on a quart low level until it warms up so I don't overfill it.

#7 ·
Thank you kindly! I figured the fluid played a huge role for to move forward and backward. I'll be back out on her in about an hour and I'll let you guys know how it went. But does it matter if I have the trans cooling lines a certain way because I can't for the life of me remember how they go and my Haynes manual is useless to say the least...:smash:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.