Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   T-350 takes off in 2nd gear (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/t-350-takes-off-2nd-gear-230209.html)

stanjr41 03-02-2013 12:07 PM

T-350 takes off in 2nd gear

I have a 350 turbo built by performance automatic that worked fine for 1000 miles then began skipping 1st gear when taking off from a stop with the shifter in drive.The trans is supposed to be good for 550 hp and i am running a 388 stroker dynoed at 497.Because of tire size limitations it will not hook up, so there is no real heavy strain on the trans. If I put the shifter in 1st, it will take off in 1st and work normally for the rest of the shifts, either shifting the shifter manually, or placing it in drive.I have written to this site and several others, approx. 1 year ago, with no good results. I have checked the vac mod and vac hoses;the shift linkage on the shifter and the kickdown linkage on the trans at the carb;the governor and weights,and whatever else I could without going inside the trans.I have changed the vac mod with no change.I have been told the problem may be in the valve body,but what do I check for? The car has been stored for the winter and only driven weekends during the summer,soI would like to get it fixed now for good! As a side note, when I am stopped at a stoplite and put the shifter in neutral,sometimes it will start very slowly moving forward if I don't have my foot on the brake.

runn141 03-03-2013 01:05 PM

sounds like the governor needs replaced.

Crosley 03-03-2013 01:38 PM

Check the shift linkage adjustment and the governor. Governor is under the round press on cover at rear of main case side

stanjr41 03-04-2013 12:50 AM

turbo 350 takes off in 2nd gear

I have checked governor and appears ok.Took apart and re-installed.Also have aftermarket kit with different weights and springs,right now it contains the originals.Have re-adjusted shift linkage several times.

runn141 03-04-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanjr41 (Post 1653224)
I have checked governor and appears ok.Took apart and re-installed.Also have aftermarket kit with different weights and springs,right now it contains the originals.Have re-adjusted shift linkage several times.

i still say its the governor. replace the entire thing with one from another trans. 700r4 and 400 turbo interchange.

Crosley 03-04-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runn141 (Post 1653373)
replace the entire thing with one from another trans. 700r4 and 400 turbo interchange.

Please explain how these 2 governors would interchange with a T-350 governor

runn141 03-05-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosley (Post 1653565)
Please explain how these 2 governors would interchange with a T-350 governor

im just going on the b&m governor recalibration kit. 1 part number of the kit fits all 3 transmission governors, so i assume they interchange. are you saying they dont?

Crosley 03-05-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runn141 (Post 1653865)
im just going on the b&m governor recalibration kit. 1 part number of the kit fits all 3 transmission governors, so i assume they interchange. are you saying they dont?

yes I am. T-400 rotates the opposite direction so gear is completely different, T-700 gear is different from a T-350.

just because weights will interchange , the whole governor will not directly interchange

runn141 03-05-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosley (Post 1653903)
yes I am. T-400 rotates the opposite direction so gear is completely different, T-700 gear is different from a T-350.

just because weights will interchange , the whole governor will not directly interchange

well you could have posted that to begin with in the last comment you quoted. but besides all that id say its still the governor, what do you think? or know?

Crosley 03-06-2013 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runn141 (Post 1653981)
well you could have posted that to begin with in the last comment you quoted. but besides all that id say its still the governor, what do you think? or know?

I thought maybe you knew something custom about the governors. Instead, you did not even know the proper application and fitment of the governors

You could have posted that you were assuming the governors all interchanging. The incorrect information could have sent the OP off on a wrong track for a replacement governor.

runn141 03-06-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosley (Post 1654036)
I thought maybe you knew something custom about the governors. Instead, you did not even know the proper application and fitment of the governors

You could have posted that you were assuming the governors all interchanging. The incorrect information could have sent the OP off on a wrong track for a replacement governor.

you are exactly right about that, but you waited almost 24 hours for me to reply before you corrected me on that. the OP could have went and got the wrong governor in that time. if the OP did in fact get the wrong governor from the false info i gave, your just as much to blame for it as i am. because you didnt point out the facts in your first quote.

Crosley 03-06-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runn141 (Post 1654160)
you are exactly right about that, but you waited almost 24 hours for me to reply before you corrected me on that. the OP could have went and got the wrong governor in that time. if the OP did in fact get the wrong governor from the false info i gave, your just as much to blame for it as i am. because you didnt point out the facts in your first quote.

You are incorrect again. I did not know what you had in mind on the governor interchange. That is why I asked for an explanation and did not "assume" anything.

When your answer was that you really had no clue of the information you posted, I provided the correct the information.

You are one of the folks on the internet that spread incorrect information on transmissions that I have read for years. It is not a malicious spreading of mis-information, it's just posting information that you "assume" is correct.

If you would have posted the information as a possible answer and that you were not sure of accuracy, then I would have corrected the info quicker.