Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - T-350: type of cooler line material to use..
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 09:15 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenfords View Post
New ques re: th350 cooling lines. I am somewhat confused on why type of lines to use. Braided are nice but espensive. Coated steel are good but very difficult to bend without a good tubing bender. I would to settle on 5/16 copper, with single flares, because it is affordable and a decent size to bend. Also need to introduce a short piece of hose, veritcally in both lines near the radiator, to absorb engine vibration. So the ques: I hear that copper is not a good metal to use for the application. Maybe it reacts to hydraulic fluid, I don't know. Can't be pressure problem cuz I believe the press is about 8 lbs. Your thoughts...Ed
The cooler line pressure is considerably higher than 8 psi, can be upwards of 50 psi or more, depending on the mods done and the main line pressure.

I really do not see a problem w/using copper if the tubing is good quality and has good support that keeps it from work hardening and cracking. But steel is cheaper and somewhat tougher, even though it's a little harder to flare and is harder to bend.