T-350 Woes.. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2011, 03:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

T-350 Woes..

Just finished rebuilding a T-350 and having problems with the 1-2 shift. For reference, I rebuilt the trans doing the "double feed direct modification", blocked the 1-2 accumulator in the case in the full forward position, tig welded up the 2-3 accumulator hole on the separator plate then ground it flush, I also drilled out both the 1-2, and 2-3 feed hole on the separator plate to .125".

I used Alto red eagle frictions in the direct drum, and Borg Warner clutches for the rest. I replaced the band, filter, and all O-rings, and sealing rings.

We installed the trans and it seems to work okay in that it has all 3 gears, and reverse. The problem is that it only stays in 1st gear for about 5 feet before it shifts to second. Even if I put the shifter in L1 to manually lock it in 1st, it still won't start off in 1st, or won't stay in first. As soon as you let off the brake and begin accelerating, it immediately shifts to 2nd. 2nd & 3rd seem to be very strong. Any ideas as to what I should be looking at?

If it matters, when I had the trans out, I managed to bend the S link up pretty bad. I *think* I put it back in correctly though as I lined up the manual valve so that it was just flush with the end of the VB when in the "D" range.

At this point, I'm going to guess that it is the governor sticking, but I thought I would throw it out to you guys to see your thoughts. I can build the H*E*DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS out of 700's and 4L60E's but I've just not had any experience with the T-350's. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2011, 06:00 PM

The govenor springs may have given up the ghost... If they open too soon it will shift like you say.
Find another govenor... pull the plate and check the springs between the two.

I fiddle with dirtcars. IF they run the t-350, they put a ziptie-wire-weld the govenor weights closed. They can shift when THEY want to. Bad thing they can DOWN shift at any time too.

They sell govenor springs, check ebay Beware of the shipping charges. Nothing like a item weighing a 1/2 ounce and have a 15.00$ shipping charge on it.

Hope I have helped some.
Phil
Old 08-11-2011, 06:24 PM

Phil, I'll be sure and look at the governor closely. When I rebuilt the trans I replaced the governor drive gear and I was sure to check and make sure the valve internally was not sticky, or sticking. I did not however think to check the condition of the springs.

I'll stick another governor in it and see what happens.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:51 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawabuggy
Phil, I'll be sure and look at the governor closely. When I rebuilt the trans I replaced the governor drive gear and I was sure to check and make sure the valve internally was not sticky, or sticking. I did not however think to check the condition of the springs.

I'll stick another governor in it and see what happens.
how about a broken or incorrect 1-2 shift spring in the valve body?
or what about a cracked 1-2 accumulator piston?
Old 08-12-2011, 07:36 PM

if your govenor checks out ok(i think it will)being it shifts to second in manual low tells me you got a leakage problem.IMO your 2/3 acumulator circut is bleeding into the 2nd(intermediate)band apply bore causing the band to apply after the car starts to move,this can bee from worn out seal ring or by welding and grinding the seporator plate.better off removing acc springs and you can in stall cup plugs or tap and hex plugs to block feeds.i would get another plate(maybee a cheap shift kit transgo,you get a plate and gaskets)re drill your feed holes as before ok good luck paul b
Old 08-12-2011, 09:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglia427
if your govenor checks out ok(i think it will)being it shifts to second in manual low tells me you got a leakage problem.IMO your 2/3 acumulator circut is bleeding into the 2nd(intermediate)band apply bore causing the band to apply after the car starts to move,this can bee from worn out seal ring or by welding and grinding the seporator plate.better off removing acc springs and you can in stall cup plugs or tap and hex plugs to block feeds.i would get another plate(maybee a cheap shift kit transgo,you get a plate and gaskets)re drill your feed holes as before ok good luck paul b
The TH350 uses 2nd CLUTCHES, not a 2nd BAND.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:47 PM

Last photo:

Did you check intermediate clutch clearance while you were assembling it? Clearance can be easily checked through the "window" in the case, just in front of the valve body. The intermediate piston is in the pump, so it's possible you may have a crossleak between the pump halves, or a shift valve issue.

Frank
Old 08-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scnd70
The TH350 uses 2nd CLUTCHES, not a 2nd BAND.

I believe anglia427 is talking about the coasting band that is applied in manual 2nd gear... since there was welding on the separator plate near the area of the servo for the coasting.

If the band applies when not designed to in manual 1 gear, weird stuff can happen
Old 08-12-2011, 10:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
I believe anglia427 is talking about the coasting band that is applied in manual 2nd gear... since there was welding on the separator plate near the area of the servo for the coasting.

If the band applies when not designed to in manual 1 gear, weird stuff can happen
Yes, I do see your theory. The coast band will stop the direct drums rotation, similar to what the intermediate clutches will. It would have to be a pretty drastic crossleak to apply the band enough to make a 1-2 shift though. I'm thinking that the coast band wouldn't last more than a couple applies.

Frank

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.