T-350 year problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2012, 11:54 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

T-350 year problem

I bought a used transmission from a recycler and had a parts man with me along with the people at the recycler.... I asked for a TH350 and they said they had a good one, and I looked and yes, it looked decent so I bought it, and the torque converter and a drive shaft all for $100. I am getting ready to change the fluid and filter on it and ran into a bunch of problems with the numbers game so I decided to get the serial number off it, and decode it. I did that this morning and now I have NO IDEA what I have. The basics tell me the shape of the pan, and that is right, the number of bolts (13) and that is right too.. so it is a TH350... so why is the serial number so weird... Can anyone help with this one? C9J123932 located on a boss on the passenger side....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2012, 02:51 PM

Last photo:

Found the answer

I researched a little more.... another site said to look on the passenger side of the pan..... I had to grind a little bit with a wire wheel on a drill, but there is was..... Y9R310......

Now I need to ask someone smarter than me.... the second digit is the number 9 and that is the "year".... since TH350s were made from 1969 to 1989... and that would obviously include 1979..... which one are we talking about? Thanks
Old 01-21-2012, 06:23 AM

Last photo:

TH350 year problem

Picked up a used TH350 w/ torque converter and drive shaft from a reputable recycler and never suspected that I would have trouble finding the year of vehicle it came out of.... I have spent two days now, researching on the internet and think I am close, but wanted to try one last time to see if someone has some inspiration. Simply, I want to get a filter and pan gasket to change the fluid and suspect that all TH350 filters are not the same for all years. Here is what I know and don't know. It is not a C version. I found the code stamped on the passenger side of the pan and decoded that: Y9R31D Which translates to Toledo, now the 9?????, October 31st day shift.... More about the number 9 in a minute. The number stamped on the boss is: C9J123932 and I know the last six numbers are perhaps part of the VIN number of the vehicle it came out of... Does anybody have a clue as to what the C9J would be (guess would again tell you the production year (9) and J would be Janesville WI? The C????? Now, getting back to the number 9. I just found bits of information where to look for some other numbers: Codes for 1969-72 are located on the accumulator, while 1973-81 are on the governor cover. The accumulator number is clean as the day it came off the line, and there is no number on it.... The governor cover I spent a good hour on, and it is so pitted that you cannot find a number, let alone read it.... but, doesn't it make sense, that if the accumulator cover definitely does not have a number, then it cannot be a 1969-72 model.... If you eliminate the year, 1969, then the "9" in the Y9R31D must be 1979????? Ideas and suggestions welcome and appreciated... thanks!!!
Old 01-21-2012, 06:28 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

I merged your 2 threads on the same subject.

your suspicions on the filter and pan gasket are incorrect for different years.

They use the same design filter and pan gasket. There are different style / material used in the filter, but they all bolt on the same.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:21 AM

Last photo:

Thanks

I'm still trying... two steps forward, there steps back.... about the time I think I have it, I don't.... but, from what I can tell, the C stands for "truck" in most decoding information sites on Chevrolets... and "9" is still the year but, 1969 or 1979 is still in doubt.... and J is going to be Janesville... I am going to guess 1979.... and go with it.... thanks.... will see what others say too...
Old 01-21-2012, 07:28 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

"Y"= Toledo TH350
"9"= '69 or '79
"R"= October
"31"= day of month
"D"= day shift

The chances are a lot greater it's a '79 than a '69 (first year, limited use as compared to how many were used in '69), but there's still that chance.

Whether it's a '69 or '79 really doesn't matter when buying a filter and gasket (or anything else for that matter). There were three different filters (brass and nylon- both usually square and a felt-looking type, usually a bit bigger w/a clipped corner), as supplied from GM but the filter and gasket you buy today will fit any TH350 trans.

Last edited by cobalt327; 01-21-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:03 AM

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Wiki Edits: 85

Quote:
C9J123932
That is not a serial number. It is a partial VIN number.

It is probably a 1979. 1969 cases had 1 more tap on the side of the case than 1970 and up had - but for the life of me I can' t remember how many.

Early 350s (with flat pans) had build date codes (Y9R31D in your case) stamped on the side of the pan. Later 350s, with ribbed pans, had that info stamped on the governor cover.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:25 AM

Last photo:

straws

Actually, I was grasping at straws a bit when I found out that the number on the transmission was a partial VIN number. I found that out very early in my research so I didn't concentrate on that until later in this process. I did spend a lot of time researching that number to see if there was some kind of sequential numbering system that Chevys used in the early production days. That isn't the case today however. So I did spend even more time seeing if I could decode these numbers from some actual VIN number decoding sites and that is where I came up with the C meaning truck as that was almost always the case.... The other letter that made sense was J for Janesville.... the serial number in the VIN number did not help me at all as to the year, and therefore, I am back to the number 9 being either 1969 or 1979... I wish the the governor cover was a little less pitted and from the diagrams I saw of this, the top two numbers would be the year of production. It is such a simple thing... and I have no idea why the 9 issue has not come up before this. For now I am content, and will make this all work. It has to. Anything else is not in the budget. I did contact TCI who have helped me with transmission questions before and I will wait for their reply tomorrow. I am not hopeful on this but it really doesn't matter anymore. Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

I still do not understand your confusion on this t-350 trans. Are you concerned for a certain year trans for a restoration ?

If it is a non lock up t-350 there are hundreds of parts available for a complete rebuild to a simple filter service.

There are a few differences in clutch pack counts the GM used. That is easy to change since the pistons are aluminum and can be machined down for additional frictions is needed.

There are a couple of minor differences in the valve body area of the case and separator plate. These are minor differences and modern gaskets for the valve body have holes in them to fit the application as needed.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:41 AM

Last photo:

First thoughts on it

I didn't get around to working on this transmission until this winter and really, it is not confusion as much as it is curiosity and my ignorance showing a bit, because I read that TH350s were produced from 1969 to 1989 so the fact that the second letter was 9 wasn't much help to me and whether or not you took a chance on a transmission in a project, in this case, married to a 4.3 L V6, would depend on whether it was a 69 or 79.... one thing I am pretty sure of, it is not a big deal even if I do the basics of changing the fluid and filter, and the input and output shaft seals. It will be used in a 1927 Chevy truck.... and used very little.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:16 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor229
I didn't get around to working on this transmission until this winter and really, it is not confusion as much as it is curiosity and my ignorance showing a bit, because I read that TH350s were produced from 1969 to 1989 so the fact that the second letter was 9 wasn't much help to me and whether or not you took a chance on a transmission in a project, in this case, married to a 4.3 L V6, would depend on whether it was a 69 or 79.... one thing I am pretty sure of, it is not a big deal even if I do the basics of changing the fluid and filter, and the input and output shaft seals. It will be used in a 1927 Chevy truck.... and used very little.
If it's a truck TH350 it'll have a long tail shaft and should have more clutches than the I6/V6 or light duty (small displacement) V8 trans- if it's original. Because you have a custom application, having a long tailshaft doesn't matter- you'll be doing a custom length driveshaft anyway.

Why not spend a few extra bucks and put a shift improver in it? Trans Go has a decent kit, at least I've had good results from them and have used them numerous times. In theory this should increase the life of the trans.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.