Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - T-400 bushing question
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 11:11 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

T-400 bushing question

I am in the process of doing a stock rebuild on a TH400, this is my first a/t rebuild. My concern is that after installing the center bushing (long tubular one) I went to install the shaft through the bushing and realize the fit was too tight for the splines to easily slide through. There was also a very slightly raised edge at one end which I was completely puzzled about. Anyway, I managed to “coax” the shaft through the bushing and passed the raised edge. The shaft did not spin freely at first. I applied oil, spun the shaft and moved it in and out of the bushing. I then completely removed the shaft and inspected the bushing, there were very light bushing shavings that I removed and the raised edges from the spline “damage” were gone but you could see where they were smoothed over by working it. At this point the shaft freely moves in an out of the bushing and also there is no resistance while spinning it. No damage to the shaft.

Is there reason to be concerned with continuing my build? Obviously I must have done something incorrectly when installing the bushing but after working the shaft in/out and spinning it, it seems that everything is fine. Just looking for opinions for those of you more experienced.

Thanks