As much as I HATE bumping a dead old thread I realized I completely forgot to post my results. I did end up finding the problem, much to the dismay of my ego
After completely disassembling the trans I spent some time staring at the parts. I quickly noticed the output shaft had large gouge around the base, on the side that faces rearward. (From memory...I can't 100% verify that...) Regardless, as it turns out I did forget a part. It was the most rearward torrington bearing.
What ended up happening was the output shaft was grinding on (whatever it sits in front of, can't remember now) and filled the trans with metal filings.
This in turn caused the entire assembly behind the center support to drop down, which caused the sun gear shaft to drop down, which caused the drum to hit the center support, and grind away as well.
EDIT: To clarify, the output shaft had enough material ground away from it it dropped the output assembly down/rearward, probably over 1/8th an Inch. This magnified the missing 1/4 in or so from the missing bearing to create one hell of a chain of events.
The end result, a pan FILLED with metal, a plugged filter, a botched tranny rebuild, and a bruised ego. It has a happy ending though, I re-rebuilt the trans, correctly with ALL the parts this time
, and reinstalled. After that it worked GREAT, shifted spectacular, no more metal in the fluid
I was very happy with the results after.
Anyway, thought I'd finally post an update. Unfortunately the truck is sitting at my parents and only gets used occasionally as a beach truck, as I've moved into a neighboring state. Someday soon however...