T-400 intermittent squeak rattle in park and drive - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 12:42 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

T-400 intermittent squeak rattle in park and drive

hello everybody. i posted a question before on hotrodders, and got some awesome help. so thankful for this site.

i've got a new problem, this time with my transmission. (i think)

I have an '85 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4. engine is a 402. tranny is a th400 that works great aside from being a little slow to go into reverse, and a slight leak from the the pump o-ring. (i think)

Here's the problem: When i start my truck, after the temp sensor on the block hits 150 +-, i hear what can only be described as a squeak/rattle. (sounds like a spun bearing almost, but it is very 'chirpy'.) It is intermittent, and usually goes away a couple of minutes after the thermostat opens up. the sound occurs in park, while the engine is at a fast idle, and also occurs in drive while at any speed, but goes away when i increase rpm's. The sound is definitely coming from the front of the transmission as determined by the screwdriver to ear test.

i call it a squeak/rattle, because it seems squeak more when going over rough patches in the road. again, the transmission seems to work fine, but the sound is getting louder, and i am beginning to notice a vibration while accelerating uphill. (no vibration apparent upon release of gas pedal.)

also, the torque converter has a bit of a wobble to it, which it has had ever since i bought the truck two and a half years ago.

One more thing to add: the other day it rained, and i drove in the rain, thoroughly wetting my undercarriage. The sound went away, and did not occur again for a couple of days. This caused me to think it is something external, but perhaps the humidity did something? I live in the dry desert of southern new mexico.

Sorry for all the words, but i have been searching hi and lo on many forums, and am about to pull the tranny, but just thought i'd put my problem out there.

I have tightened the flexplate to converter bolts, which were a little loose. i did not see any cracks. i have a suspicion that my TC bolts may be loose, thus causing the wobble?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 06:47 AM

Last photo:

Flexplate to Converter bolts are the same as TC bolts. Did you intend to say Flexplate to Crank bolts?
If the TC was wobbling the TC nose may have been rubbing the rear of the Crank. Could also cause Trans Pump, Seal & Bushing damage.
The Following User Says Thank You to SSedan64 For This Useful Post:
oldhickory (10-24-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 04:30 PM

Yes, i meant flexplate to crank bolts. I decided not to pull the tranny yet, but instead replaced the filter and so far (day two) the sound has not come back. But i did find 3 or 4 very thin aluminum shavings, as well as a gray film in the bottom of the pan mixed with lots of gold colored 'dust'.

I noticed yesterday that i am missing one bolt to the bellhousing, and there is a small gap between the bellhousing and block on the passenger side (1/8"). Can this be the cause of the issues i am experiencing?
Old 10-17-2012, 04:38 AM

Last photo:

It could be causing alignment issues. Also make sure the alignment Dowel Pins in the Block are there. 1 on each side.
The Following User Says Thank You to SSedan64 For This Useful Post:
oldhickory (10-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 08:28 PM

All of the bellhousing bolts were quite loose, so i pulled them and replaced them with new grade 8 bolts and lock washers. It has been almost two weeks since changing the filter, and the sound has not come back. Thanks for the help guys.

Tags
filter, rattle, squeak, th400, torque converter

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.