Hot Rod Forum banner

T-400 not warming up

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  tnsmith10 
#1 ·
my t400 is not warming up to normal temps. It will only reach a temp of 130. It has a 10" convertor, 8 AN braided hoses, deep trans pan and a cooler.

#2 ·
ss396si said:
my t400 is not warming up to normal temps. It will only reach a temp of 130. It has a 10" convertor, 8 AN braided hoses, deep trans pan and a cooler.
If you are able to drive the vehicle, it's getting hotter than 130 degrees unless you have the all-time best cooling system ever for an automatic transmission.

I'd suspect the gauge or sender or its wiring, but an infrared thermometer will tell you the pan temp, or a quick test is to simply lay your open palm up against the tranny pan after a good drive- quickly feeling for heat. 130 degrees will be easily tolerated for a moment.

#3 ·
ss396si said:
are you running the trans cooler lines through the radiator along with the aux. cooler? if not, as long as your moving, the trans isnt likely to build a whole lot of heat.
if you are running the cooler lines through the rad before the aux. cooler, then like cobalt said, within roughly 20 miles, the trans should be about the same temp as the engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.