Hot Rod Forum banner

T-400 parts & fitment

930 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  jakeshoe 
#1 ·
My final pieces needed to do my TH400 arrived from John Kilgore today :)

I'll final assemble it tomorrow and hopefully install it in my Chevelle in the next day or so. Gotta have a driveshaft cut to 39". :cool:

Which reaction carrier should I use? :mwink:

How do you think this tailhousing will work?

Here's a question for ya'll...

Have you noticed any difference in shift quality when using a 4 clutch intermediate setup in a TH400? i.e., does it shift firmer and if so do you reduce your 2nd feed orificing?

I'll have a tight converter under normal conditions so what I normally use for orificing when I use additional clutches may be too aggressive.

See less See more
#2 ·
jakeshoe said:
My final pieces needed to do my TH400 arrived from John Kilgore today :)

I'll final assemble it tomorrow and hopefully install it in my Chevelle in the next day or so. Gotta have a driveshaft cut to 39". :cool:

Which reaction carrier should I use? :mwink:

How do you think this tailhousing will work?

Here's a question for ya'll...

Have you noticed any difference in shift quality when using a 4 clutch intermediate setup in a TH400? i.e., does it shift firmer and if so do you reduce your 2nd feed orificing?

I'll have a tight converter under normal conditions so what I normally use for orificing when I use additional clutches may be too aggressive.

use the same size hole for 2nd gear , 3 or 4 frictions. I use a waved plate against that apply piston in all applications for 2nd gear on a t-400 or a 4l80e unit.

I use the late design roller clutch drums. Not many early units around.

Looks like an early Gear Vendor unit ? They are tough units. I do not know if our monster truck guys are still using Gear Vendor units now or not. We built some custom adapters for Deadenbear cased power glides for the GV units. Seems like the adapters are commercially available now.

John is quite the guy..... bought my first stall speed converter from him in the early 1970's. It blew up internally, that is when I found the local folks , Hughes

:D

#5 ·
I did a TH400 for a monster truck years ago. It was a middle of the night repair, so the truck could run on Sunday.
The spare trans was injured and the one in the truck also got hurt.

I took pieces from 3, and made 1. Truck won the overall event on Sunday :)

I knew just enough to assemble a TH400 at the time, but it was enough I guess.

Why are they using the GV? I can understand why the Glide, but do they need the extra gear to make it work like a 3 speed, or just want to be able to select a different ratio for different tracks?

#6 ·
jakeshoe said:
I did a TH400 for a monster truck years ago. It was a middle of the night repair, so the truck could run on Sunday.
The spare trans was injured and the one in the truck also got hurt.

I took pieces from 3, and made 1. Truck won the overall event on Sunday :)

I knew just enough to assemble a TH400 at the time, but it was enough I guess.

Why are they using the GV? I can understand why the Glide, but do they need the extra gear to make it work like a 3 speed, or just want to be able to select a different ratio for different tracks?

Monster truck guys tell us on the longer course they use the GV for additional speed in the straights.... this is something Jeff Hughes help engineer for a tight fitment on the Dedenbear.. now Reid Racing cases....

:cool:

#7 ·
Looks like a nice setup.
It does tuck up to the trans fairly well.

The Monster truck I was messing with had a divorced transfer case (as it looks like that one does too).

Pretty neat stuff. 510 cubes, ~1400 HP, 8-71, alcohol injected, etc.

Funny thing was,
my trans lasted about 4 1/2 weekends. They were normally only lasting 3 before they toasted clutches.

The trans that toasted clutches has stock tans in the direct. The spare trans ( I think it was supposed to be the primary), had some type of waffled plates. Might have been Blues. I didn't even know what I was looking at then.

I knew it didn't have a governor or modulator.

I got to drive that thing later on. WOOHOO! 1400 HP is a trip. It would wheelie in 3rd gear from a standing start with the transport tires on it (shorter).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.