T-400 rebuild questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2012, 04:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

T-400 rebuild questions

Hi everybody since im writing from my cellphone i will try to make this text as short as possible.

I've just rebuilt my tranny with alto steels and frictions. All the mods that jakeshoe recommends you to do to the valvebody is what i have done except for making it fully manual.

Now to the question: I managed to get hold of an aluminium direct drum (the one with the sprag on it) Wich makes it impossible to use the original size intermediate band. From all ive heard that band controls nothing else but engine breaking, or is it? Since i dont care about the engine break function, could i just leave that band out and be happy or do you need to keep it?

If the band is not neccesary then what do you do with the apply pin and piston that controls it?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 02:25 PM

Last photo:

Leave the band out, and make some spacers on both sides of the intermediate servo to locate it so it doesn't move in the bore.

You could make some changes to the separator plate instead but this will be the easier way for what you are trying to accomplish.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:13 AM

Thanks for helping out I appreciate it a lot. But since the tranny was already in the car I decided to try it anyway but realised pretty quick that third gear is missing. When I put it in D I get 2nd gear right away but no 1st or 3rd. When I manually shift it 1st and 2nd works but no 3rd when I shift into D. Maybe the left out piston is causing this I'll kick it back in with the spacers you where talking about and see what happens. Any other ideas if this doesn't work?
Old 03-17-2012, 07:19 PM

Ok back for some more info. I installed the apply pin and piston again with spacers to make it "rigid".

Now it seems like i have 3rd gear but still when i shift into D it starts in 2nd or 3rd gear, hard too say as the car is currently on jacks but I know for sure that 1st gear is missing when D is used.

But when selecting a gear like reverse or D the shift is very positive and firm. The "problem" is only when going trough the gears with my foot on the throttle. But maybe that is how 400's behave while on jackstands?

Engine is a 383 sbc with around 10-11 inhg vacuum.
Converter is a 9.5" 4500 stall custom built.

Thanks in advance and sorry for using strange words here and there in my sentences but i'm from sweden and i try my best to make myself understood.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

You will not get a real ''feel'' of the trans operating correctly on jack stands with that stall converter. Needs weight on the tires.

You may be able to put foot on the brakes to apply / drag them for better feel
Old 03-25-2012, 09:29 AM

Got the car ready for a drive yesterday and everything worked great. I really like the way the trans is behaving.

Only thing wrong is that i cant lock it in 2nd gear manually even tough ive done everything to make it work that way. Made the two flats on 1-2 shift valve and plugged the exhaust hole using a checkball, yes its still in place after the test run. Any ideas?

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.