T-400 removal alone - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2013, 06:33 AM
Big Al

Wiki Edits: 0

T-400 removal alone

Anyone ever removed transmission alone , I did a 4 speed alone back in the day but have never tried this before. Help me out friends old man needs advice and how to's .

Advertisement

Last edited by alrobjr; 08-25-2013 at 06:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2013, 06:38 AM

Last photo:

trans removal

what veh is this in ?????? for now just look at what u have and what u need to remove to get it out.. pull starter, unbolt bell housing, remove d-shaft and seal it off, pull trans support, use a floor jack with a 2by under the trans pan for support.. another set of hands are very helpful.. be ready for engine to tilt down so u need to watch fan and put some support on eng oil pan too.
The Following User Says Thank You to delawarebill For This Useful Post:
alrobjr (08-25-2013)
Old 08-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

If you have a good jack it is not a hard task. I did one before I had access to a lift and I just built a wooden frame to sit on the jack and the sides were made to fit the pan. if you are doing it on the floor make sure the car is high enough to get the tranny out from underneath.
If you can rent a tranny jack the tilt functions make it a lot easier to line it up when going back in.
If you are working alone some long studs to help with alignment will make the job easier. I used to use bolts about 8" long with the heads cut off.

Chet
The Following User Says Thank You to T-bucket23 For This Useful Post:
alrobjr (08-25-2013)
Old 08-25-2013, 02:22 PM

Swapped out my trucks TH350 for a TH400 a couple/few years back, by myself, and I've had 8 spinals surgeries in the past. Truck has a 2 piece drive shaft, so that adds a little more work. I use exhaust "studs" on my engines to attach bellhousings to, so it gives me a bit of an advantage lining things up just right. Used a floor jack to bring the trans up to height, and "plug it in". Just be sure your flexplate has the same bolt pattern as the converter BEFORE you bolt everything together. There should be enough length to the speedometer cable, shifter the same a TH350, cooler lines are the same, but the TH400 uses an electronic kickdown. The TH350 my truck had was a 9 " extension housing model, just a little longer than a TH400 short shaft; I made up for the difference with a slip yoke that's a little bit longer, and can be cut to the right length. Putting a TH400 into my truck was the best thing I've done to it. Butch/junior stocker.
The Following User Says Thank You to junior stocker For This Useful Post:
alrobjr (08-25-2013)
Old 08-25-2013, 03:49 PM

Last journal entry: Volkswagen V8 Squareback project.
Last photo:

I have been doing everything ,alone, on my project. I have a tube chassis with a 1969 VW Type III station wagon body. I started with a bare frame, made a couple roll around fixtures, out of 2" x 4"s with 10" pneumatic tires. That made the whole job nice to roll around. Dummied in a sbc 350 complete with intake, pan and heads. Manhandled my 700R4 trannie. Hooked it to the engine. made a trans cross member. Installed new 350 and reinstalled trans, after I had the body in place. Yes, I did all by myself, with the help of a floor jack and cherry picker. I failed to mention. I put in my rear end and Mustang II front suspension with the body off the chassis. Did I mention, I am 67 years "young" If I can do it, anybody can.
The Following User Says Thank You to V8Square For This Useful Post:
alrobjr (08-25-2013)
Old 08-25-2013, 04:12 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

To answer the O.P.'s question, yes, of course you can do it by yourself. I've R&R'd many TH400s and 200-4R transmissions by myself. The first time, when I was young and stupid, I tried it with a regular floor jack. Learn from this and get a real trans jack. You can either rent one or buy one from Harbor Freight for like $150. I have that one and it works great for the couple of times a year that I need it.
The Following User Says Thank You to joe_padavano For This Useful Post:
alrobjr (08-25-2013)
Old 08-25-2013, 05:59 PM
Big Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23 View Post
If you have a good jack it is not a hard task. I did one before I had access to a lift and I just built a wooden frame to sit on the jack and the sides were made to fit the pan. if you are doing it on the floor make sure the car is high enough to get the tranny out from underneath.
If you can rent a tranny jack the tilt functions make it a lot easier to line it up when going back in.
If you are working alone some long studs to help with alignment will make the job easier. I used to use bolts about 8" long with the heads cut off.
I have everything except those long bolts , I'll try the exhaust bolts.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:00 PM

I'll agree with joe. Use the right equipment and don't get hurt. I've done that when I was younger and got lucky and never got hurt. Today I know better. Just Put a 200 4r in my nova a little while back and had my brothers come over for the day to take the 350 out and put the 200 4r in. I had everything ready and it worked out well. Had a cheep scissors jack and lots of floor jacks, stands and cement blocks. taking it out was easy, putting the new one was the hard part, and we had a lot of experience. Lifting the tranny up on the jack to get it put back in was the hardest thing because we did it in my extra driveway. Thing about all the steps your going to go threw and if you got those steps covered. Be SAFE.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.