T-400 reverse manual valve body problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2010, 12:12 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

T-400 reverse manual valve body problems

Hi everyone,
I have a TH400 on the bench that's been recently "built", and has a reverse pattern manual valve body w/brake. I have no idea who built the trans or where the valve body came from. All I know is, it shifts really sluggishly and softly. I would expect it to give you whiplash when shifting and to shift as soon as you told it to, but it doesn't. Governor has been completely removed, all check balls are gone, front band servo piston is gone, and there's no 2-3 accumulator, even though the passage isn't blocked.

This is my first TH400, but not my first trans. Any ideas as to what's causing the slow/soft shifting?

Advertisement

Last edited by huafist; 02-18-2010 at 12:19 PM. Reason: grammar and spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2010, 07:00 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by huafist
Hi everyone,
I have a TH400 on the bench that's been recently "built", and has a reverse pattern manual valve body w/brake. I have no idea who built the trans or where the valve body came from. All I know is, it shifts really sluggishly and softly. I would expect it to give you whiplash when shifting and to shift as soon as you told it to, but it doesn't. Governor has been completely removed, all check balls are gone, front band servo piston is gone, and there's no 2-3 accumulator, even though the passage isn't blocked.

This is my first TH400, but not my first trans. Any ideas as to what's causing the slow/soft shifting?
I believe there should be one check ball still there. It should go in the "bathtub". I have a picture of it on my computer at home but thats 650 miles away.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

The reverse pattern v-body I deal with do not need check balls anywhere in the application.

Have you tested the line pressure? If pressure is low , this will cause poor shifts
Old 02-18-2010, 08:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
The reverse pattern v-body I deal with do not need check balls anywhere in the application.

Have you tested the line pressure? If pressure is low , this will cause poor shifts
No, the trans is on my bench. I've got the VB out of it right now. I have no idea who did the valve body, it has stock GM body casting numbers on it. I'm wondering if it's truly a reverse pattern, or just a homebrew full manual.
The seperator plate has a 4 digit number stamped in it, but I don't remember right off hand what it is. Shouldn't the front band servo piston still be in the trans for the brake, and shouldn't there be a set screw in the case to block off fluid flow to where the 2-3 accumulator used to be?

If the line pressure was low, wouldn't it slip as well? I was told it does not slip at all. Just slow to shift and does so softly.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
No, the trans is on my bench. I've got the VB out of it right now. I have no idea who did the valve body, it looks like GM stock body. I'm wondering if it's truly a reverse pattern, or just a full manual.
The seperator plate has a 4 digit number stamped in it, but I don't remember right off hand what it is. Shouldn't the front band servo piston still be in the trans for the brake, and shouldn't there be a set screw in the case to block off fluid flow to where the 2-3 accumulator used to be?

If the line pressure was low, wouldn't it slip as well? I was told it does not slip at all. Just slow to shift and does so softly.

soft shifts are slipping shifts usually.

the band servo is unneeded

the 2-3 accumilator is unneeded. If you look at the separator plate , it probably blocks off many of the areas you worry about.

4 digit number.. would that be 2211R ? Or 2215

Often a OEM valve body is machined into a different configuration as a reverse pattern or trans brake v-body, very common process

Old 02-18-2010, 08:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
soft shifts are slipping shifts usually.

the band servo is unneeded

the 2-3 accumilator is unneeded. If you look at the separator plate , it probably blocks off many of the areas you worry about.

4 digit number.. would that be 2211R ? Or 2215

Often a OEM valve body is machined into a different configuration as a reverse pattern or trans brake v-body, very common process

2215, I believe.

Now that I think about it, I believe you are correct. the plate does block those off. Should the holes for the governor oiling tubes be blocked off?
Perhaps the pressure regulator spring in the pump is weak?
Old 02-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

usually the 2215 number indicates a trans brake valve body, could be several different brands. These are also reverse shift pattern.

Is the separator plate natural aluminum or red in colour ?

the trans would require a tear down by an experienced high performance tech.. I can guess till next year on what the problem is with your trans with out seeing it
Old 02-19-2010, 06:35 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
usually the 2215 number indicates a trans brake valve body, could be several different brands. These are also reverse shift pattern.

Is the separator plate natural aluminum or red in colour ?

the trans would require a tear down by an experienced high performance tech.. I can guess till next year on what the problem is with your trans with out seeing it
It's neither aluminum color nor red ; it resembles the coating on a lot of grade 8 bolts - that goldish-orange color.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:58 PM

Last photo:

No problems to be found in the valve body. Pulling the pump tomorrow to check the line pressure spring, gonna pull the drums to check the clutches as well. There was an awful lot of clutch material in the pan when I pulled it off.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
It's neither aluminum color nor red ; it resembles the coating on a lot of grade 8 bolts - that goldish-orange color.

It is posible yellow zinc coating on the plate.

If you pull the pump, I would be checking the pump gear clearance
Old 02-21-2010, 09:06 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
It is posible yellow zinc coating on the plate.

If you pull the pump, I would be checking the pump gear clearance
Will do. I'll post the results later today. Thanks for the help, Crosley. I really appreciate it.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:40 AM

Last photo:

Sorry that it's taken me this long to get back to this. I pulled the pump apart last night, and there's scoring on both sides of the pump case where the gears have been chewing into it. The clearance comes out ok at .003", but all the components are worn pretty badly, so when it's put together I'm sure it's out of spec. The bushing looks rough as well. My big concern is, if the clearance is ok, what caused the damage? A misaligned converter possibly?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trans pump2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	44122  

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.