T-400 Shifts from 1st to 3rd - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2012, 01:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

T-400 Shifts from 1st to 3rd

Hi All,

I have a freshly rebuilt th400 that has most of the mods recomended by Jake and I either did something wrong, or there is another problem. When in drive, normal accelleration, the trans seems to shift from 1st to 3rd completely bypassing 2nd. As soon as it upshifts shifts out of 1st, I can downshift to 2nd manually/normally.

Also, when ratchet shifting, when I shift from 1st to 2nd, it never goes into second, it just hangs in 1st screaming. Then when I ratchet again, it goes to 3rd.

I have done all of the line pressure tests and everthing seems to be within specs.

Any suggestions/thoughts?

Thank you,

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2012, 10:42 PM

Last photo:

valve body mistory

Check to see if you left out the steel check ball in the valve body this allows pressure to channel along the right track in the valve body that makes all the automatic shifting possible. I lost one of the steel balls and this was the exact same problem I had. Question I have is how is reverse if it is fine then you know it is NOT in the second/reverse band. Hope this helped, post back to let me know. if it did not help we will go from there. jessedenny47 or jessedenny43@yahoo.com
Old 09-10-2012, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessedenny47 View Post
Check to see if you left out the steel check ball in the valve body this allows pressure to channel along the right track in the valve body that makes all the automatic shifting possible. I lost one of the steel balls and this was the exact same problem I had. Question I have is how is reverse if it is fine then you know it is NOT in the second/reverse band. Hope this helped, post back to let me know. if it did not help we will go from there. jessedenny47 or jessedenny43@yahoo.com
Reverse works perfectly so we can take that off of the list. I wont be able to drop the pan and VB for a while due to work, but thanks for the response and some direction. I will report back.

Steve
Old 09-10-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessedenny47 View Post
It was a while ago that I did the rebuild so I don't remember, id there a check ball in the valve body itself< or are all of them above the separator plate? I am having dane brammage..
Old 09-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

There are 2 bands in the T-400 trans. The rear band is for manual first gear and reverse. The front band is a coasting band that applies only in manual 2nd gear on the shifter to provide engine braking.

If you drop the vavle body , then you can air check the clutch pack for 2nd gear. The hole is in the 12 point bolt for the center support. The bolt goes through the case into the center support.

Check balls are all located in the case, below the separator plate.

i suggest you check the gasket placement, they are different and labeled, Look at the check ball locations. Check the valve body for proper movement of the valves.

I hope you do not have a plastic piston in the valve body. Those pistons break, check that too.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley View Post
There are 2 bands in the T-400 trans. The rear band is for manual first gear and reverse. The front band is a coasting band that applies only in manual 2nd gear on the shifter to provide engine braking.

If you drop the vavle body , then you can air check the clutch pack for 2nd gear. The hole is in the 12 point bolt for the center support. The bolt goes through the case into the center support.

i suggest you check the gasket placement, they are different and labeled, Look at the check ball locations. Check the valve body for proper movement of the valves.

I hope you do not have a plastic piston in the valve body. Those pistons break, check that too.

I remember air checking the clutch pack during assembly and everything was good. To do so now, are you saying that I need to remove the center support bolt and apply air there? When you say that the gaskets are different and labeled, what do you mean.

The vb piston is not plastic

Thanks..

Steve
Old 09-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

QUOTE= MRFixIt: I remember air checking the clutch pack during assembly and everything was good. To do so now, are you saying that I need to remove the center support bolt and apply air there?

Quote:
If you drop the vavle body , then you can air check the clutch pack for 2nd gear. The hole is in the 12 point bolt for the center support.
= You did install the correct 12 point bolt in the center support bolt hole?

QUOTE = Mr FIxit: When you say that the gaskets are different and labeled, what do you mean.

Quote:
i suggest you check the gasket placement, they are different and labeled,
= I am talking about the valve body gaskets on each side of the separator plate

Old 09-11-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
QUOTE= MRFixIt: I remember air checking the clutch pack during assembly and everything was good. To do so now, are you saying that I need to remove the center support bolt and apply air there?

QUOTE = Mr FIxit: When you say that the gaskets are different and labeled, what do you mean.

Yes, I am sure that I did install the correct 12 pt bolt and torqued it. I am not sure about the gaskets being correctly used. I do remember that they were slightly different and maybe I got them mixed up. I will start with checking into that. Thanks for all of yout help..

Steve
Old 09-11-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:

Oops, I forgot to ask where do you suggest that I buy these gaskets? I see that there are different types too.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 09-16-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:

Crosley,

I ordered a new set of VB gaskets from Summit TCI Auto GSK221500 - TCI Valve Body Gaskets - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Not sure if these are the correct gaskets as the description for both options offered by Summit say "full manual". There are only two small differences in the set that I bought and the gaskets are not labeled as I was hoping. Can you suggest different gaskets or supplier so that I can be sure to get the correct ones?

Also what about the separator plate. I am not sure if it is OEM, or a shift kit that someone installed before I bought the trans?? I did drill out the couple of openings larger as indicated on the Jakes site. How can I tell? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 09-16-2012, 07:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The valve body gaskets are different and marked via ink stamping or a cut out near the large hole for the accumulator piston.

The cut outs near the large hole will be a "C" or "VB" ... Also the case gasket is larger at the area where the kick down solenoid bolts on. On the valve body gasket, there is no material under the solenoid since it has a separate gasket or a rubber seal on the solenoid body.

There are 2 different case gaskets. 6 or 7 check ball design case. The 7 check ball design gaskets I have seen have a modern "C" in the shape of a 1/4 moon. The 6 check ball gasket "C" looks eggzackly like a "C"

Hope this a bit more clear than mud

Last edited by Crosley; 09-16-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
The valve body gaskets are different and marked via ink stamping or a cut out near the large hole for the accumulator piston.

The cut outs near the large hole will be a "C" or "VB" ... Also the case gasket is larger at the area where the kick down solenoid bolts on. On the valve body gasket, there is no material under the solenoid since it has a separate gasket or a rubber seal on the solenoid body.

There are 2 different case gaskets. 6 or 7 check ball design case. The 7 check ball design gaskets I have seen have a modern "C" in the shape of a 1/4 moon. The 6 check ball gasket "C" looks eggzackly like a "C"

Hope this a bit more clear than mud
This is very clear, however, this is the gasket set that I received. As you can see, this is why I was confused. I am not sure what this set is, but it isnt what you have described.

I cant seem to find the correct gaskets online.

Thanks,

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TH400 VB Gaskets 002.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	357.5 KB
ID:	67926  
Old 09-17-2012, 05:52 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fixit View Post
This is very clear, however, this is the gasket set that I received. As you can see, this is why I was confused. I am not sure what this set is, but it isnt what you have described.

I cant seem to find the correct gaskets online.

Thanks,

Steve
that Gasket set pictured is listed as ''full manual'' on the link you posted. The photo of gaskets looks like a reverse pattern valve body gasket set

I have seen OEM type of t-400 gaskets for valve body listed on eBay
Old 09-17-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
that Gasket set pictured is listed as ''full manual'' on the link you posted. The photo of gaskets looks like a reverse pattern valve body gasket set

I have seen OEM type of t-400 gaskets for valve body listed on eBay
Thank you for all of your help. I will report back when I have things resolved.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fixit View Post
Thank you for all of your help. I will report back when I have things resolved.
Send me a PM if you still need the OEM type valve body gaskets.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.