Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - T-400 speedometer gear question
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 09:32 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqeezeit View Post
Thanks but not sure that helped,Ive seen that page and says nothing(unless I missed it) about different size drive gears(not tooth count).Iam wondering if something came loose on the install,because my drive gear on tail shaft is towards the engine to far,maybe it slid out of place on the shaft?
The drive gear should be basically directly under the driven gear housing hole in the tail housing.

If you have a plastic drive gear, there's a spring steel clip that has one end secured in a hole in the tailshaft. The other end snaps the drive gear into place. There's a chance the drive gear was knocked out of position, or the wrong size clip was used instead of the correct clip.

Steel gears used on some early transmissions are a press fit and I seriously doubt you'd be able to move one out of position under ordinary circumstances, so if there's a steel gear and it's loose enough to be bumped out of position you need to replace it altogether.