Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - T-400 speedometer gear question
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 01:50 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerlinn View Post
As noted by several before me, you cannot mix and match speedo gears and housings. The gears (40 & up) with larger tooth counts are larger in diameter than the smaller gears (39 & under) to accommodate the extra teeth. The larger diameter requires a different offset so the teeth make proper contact with the drive gear.

If your gear and housing match, then you have a different problem, possibly, as noted above, a missing or loose drive gear.

What is confusing to me here is that you say you have the smaller housing (39 & under I presume), yet your gear does not contact the other gear. If you had a mismatched housing and gear in this instance, you could not even insert the assembly into the transmission without using a bigger hammer and ruining the gear(s) in the process.

How about counting the teeth on the driven gear and posting the tooth count and the casting number(s) on your housing? There may be something else at play here that is not obvious without more info.
I never did count drive gear teeth yet,and I think it was yellow in color,not sure.I do have the right housing and driven gear,it is a 36-39 housing.I know the 40 and up are bigger diameter of driven gear so wont fit my housing(tried it before I knew this).Will get back with more info,but just wondering if the drive gears are different diameters also?Could it not have the right drive gear,from what I read theres a few different tooth count drive gears but I guess didnt or wouldnt think it wouldnt even touch the speedo/driven gear if it was wrong,I dont know.