T-400 Speedometer only works when cold - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 06:18 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

T-400 Speedometer only works when cold

The speedometer on my '78 Chevy Big10 works fine for about 10 minutes and it is cold. After the initial 10 minutes the speed starts decreasing slowly until it reaches zero. Mind you I am probably going 55-60 on the interstate when the speed starts decreasing. Checked the gears in the trans they look good. The cable is new and appears ok. Anyone ever see anything like this ?
Thanks
OTG

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 06:44 AM

Last journal entry: Bringing home the 401 Nailhead
Last photo:

Since you state a new cable then we are talking mechanical not electrical pickup. The plastic gear at the transmission has a square hole that the end of the cable slips into. Is this hole rounded and the cable slips? Positive that the cable is inserted as far as possible? When did this start? After you installed new cable? Why did you install a new cable?
Old 01-26-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude076
Since you state a new cable then we are talking mechanical not electrical pickup. The plastic gear at the transmission has a square hole that the end of the cable slips into. Is this hole rounded and the cable slips? Positive that the cable is inserted as far as possible? When did this start? After you installed new cable? Why did you install a new cable?
Guess I am stuck in the '70s never saw an electric pickup only cables.

I swapped the trans from a C20 to a C10Big10 which is why there are little differences. The C20 was a 84 and the Big10 is a 78. If this matters.

After swapping the trans the speedo didn't work at all.

I checked the gear etc a couple of days ago and replaced the reduction
box(?) (unit between speedo cable and trans) The one that was on it had a cable that was smaller than the square hole in the gear. This reduction unit was shaped like the letter "Z". I had another reduction box that was an "inline" and the cable into the trans was bigger and fit better. Everything is snug now.

One would think that if the cable was slipping the speedometer would be erratic. This one slides down to zero over a few miles distance and even takes a pause at 15mph sometimes.

Thanks
OTG
Old 01-26-2011, 08:10 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Look again at the speedo drive gear on the output shaft. When the speedo cable starts to go bad and drags, the plastic teeth on the gear start to wear. Since the gears are helical, the wear is only in the middle and may not be apparent if you're just looking through the hole for the driven gear. When the trans fluid is cold, there's enough viscosity that the driven gear will turn, but once the trans fluid heats up and thins out, the driven gear (and thus the speedo) stops.

If you are sure the drive and driven gears are good, then the only other thing I can think of is that the holder for the driven gear is the wrong one or is not inserted all the way so the gears aren't making full contact. The viscosity of the trans fluid is again what makes the driven gear turn when the oil is cold.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:36 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Another possibility is the speedo head.

It works by a rotating magnet (hooked to the speedo inner cable) 'pulling' the needle along- the needle itself isn't mechanically connected to the inner cable, in other words.

If any of the friction points are sticky, this can cause the needle to slow or stop altogether.

If you can reach the back of the speedo to unclip the cable, you might be able to see if the cable stays turning after the amount of time that it usually has stopped. If the cable quits turning, that eliminates the speedo head.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:10 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I will pull the drive gear and replace it. I am going to try NAPA for a replacement. Think they have it ? Didn't see it listed online for them. Anyone know where I can find it ? Hopefully I can find an o-ring also.
Thanks
OTG
Old 01-26-2011, 06:29 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by otgdy
Thanks for the quick response. I will pull the drive gear and replace it. I am going to try NAPA for a replacement. Think they have it ? Didn't see it listed online for them. Anyone know where I can find it ? Hopefully I can find an o-ring also.
Thanks
OTG
Just to be clear, the drive gear is the one on the output shaft. You need to pull the tailhousing off to change it. The o-rings should be available at a hardware store.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Just to be clear, the drive gear is the one on the output shaft. You need to pull the tailhousing off to change it. The o-rings should be available at a hardware store.
I am thinking about the gear that comes out with the round housing that has a distributor like clamp holding it in.Your referring to the one that this one mates up with ? Now that would suck. It is a new trans hopefully your wrong
even if Murphy says your probably not. Any idea where I can get the one that is easier to remove ?
Thanks
OTG
Old 01-27-2011, 08:55 AM

Last photo:

Most Trans shops keep a few Gears on hand or a Trans Parts House.
If no luck check here:
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/sp...____va.htm#400
http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Tech..._gears.asp#400

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.