T-400 tranny - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2013, 12:58 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

T-400 tranny

Ok fellows,I have never been in a 400 tranny and has been a long time since I ever serviced one so Im sorry if this sounds dumb.I bought the car last year and now servicing tranny. Im just wondering on the filter.Is the bolt that holds it on normally look like and is there any washers ect.When I took it off they had 2 orings on the tube to case and the filter was just kinda dangeling there and hanging low in back.By looking at when I put together with one oring(new filter/oring) just seems to hang low and wants to walk its way off the pickup tube.So Im guessing they doubled up the orings to bring down farther to make up for this.Is the mounting bolt suppose to hold the filter tight without movement(I would think so or close to it) now it moves a pretty good amount up and down,so just wonder whats normal or what needs to be there?Washers/wrong bolt?Thanks guys

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2013, 01:17 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqeezeit View Post
Ok fellows,I have never been in a 400 tranny and has been a long time since I ever serviced one so Im sorry if this sounds dumb.I bought the car last year and now servicing tranny. Im just wondering on the filter.Is the bolt that holds it on normally look like and is there any washers ect.When I took it off they had 2 orings on the tube to case and the filter was just kinda dangeling there and hanging low in back.By looking at when I put together with one oring(new filter/oring) just seems to hang low and wants to walk its way off the pickup tube.So Im guessing they doubled up the orings to bring down farther to make up for this.Is the mounting bolt suppose to hold the filter tight without movement(I would think so or close to it) now it moves a pretty good amount up and down,so just wonder whats normal or what needs to be there?Washers/wrong bolt?Thanks guys
The mounting bolt holds the filter loosely and yes, it does walk around with the bolt tightened. This is normal.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:07 PM

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Wiki Edits: 85

Joe is correct, however do you have a deep pan or a shallow pan? If you have a deep pan, there should be a spacer sleeve on the bolt. The shallow pan does not use a space sleeve.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:26 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

It's a shallow? Don't know the difference of the two but mine is about 1 1/2 inch deep or so. So the pan must keep filter on? I only ask because if I hold filter level(holding up on filter off of the bolt head) then if I wiggle it I can get the filter to fall off of tube. I guess I never measured yet so I should 2moro. My bolt has a 3/4" step in it. Does this sound like the right one for it. Thanks again for replies
Old 05-20-2013, 04:29 AM

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Wiki Edits: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqeezeit View Post
It's a shallow? Don't know the difference of the two but mine is about 1 1/2 inch deep or so. So the pan must keep filter on? I only ask because if I hold filter level(holding up on filter off of the bolt head) then if I wiggle it I can get the filter to fall off of tube. I guess I never measured yet so I should 2moro. My bolt has a 3/4" step in it. Does this sound like the right one for it. Thanks again for replies
The deep pan is 2-7/8" deep, so you have the shallow pan.

The shallow pan bolt has a shank that is 23/64" long and 25/64" in diameter and has 5/16" threads that are about 11/16" long.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.