Hot Rod Forum banner

T-400 trans to a Ford 351 C engine?

7K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  inkfreak1976 
#1 ·
Im looking for some info/help on a idea that i have and i want to know if its been done or impossible.
Im currently building a 351 clevland ( 11.4:1 .30 over , aussie ported heads, 640 lift) and im looking into transmissions and i currently have a c4 to bolt to it but to get one rebuilt in my area to handle the engine is a very large pry bar on the pocket book.
Id love to put in a turbo 400, but i cant find any way that it has been done or adaptor plates or anything. I know its like a cardinal sin for a ford to have a chevy and vis versa but, I want the durability and gearing of the th 400 and Im not a purist and dont care weather its chevy or ford as long as its mean and fast. I already know that ill have to get a custom shaft made and mounts and a bunch of other stuff that has to get done but the one thing that i cant find is a way to bolt it up.
If anyone has any ideas or knows of a place to get a mounting plate please let me know
thanks

#3 ·
rick 427 said:
Talk about a large pry bar in your pocketbook........what's wrong with a C-6??
I would have to get an adapter plate any how, my c4 fits up to my 351 bolt pattern so a c6 wouldn't fit up. or so ive been schooled many times before ive never tryed to bolt a c6 up to it but ive been told it wont work. and ive also read that it drops 55 hp running a c6 because of the size. to where a c4 only drops 25 hp.
thats why id love to put in a th400 i ve got many availble to me cheep and never had any problems with the trans in any build ive ever done. theve taken a beating.

#9 ·
Why not just rebuild any C4 that you already have instead of trying to bastardize something else. To do a C4 - really no special tools beyond a dial indicator They are about as simple to do as a 3-4 speed manual. Couple hundred bucks worth of parts from here or similar supplier, a weekend, and you are on your way. To do a performance build, another few hundred and a heluva lot better then some odd ball transmission for that enging.

#12 ·
rick 427 said:
'' but if anyone is wondering to do this conversion is around a grand!! not a bad price.''
So you're saying that a built 400 trans...stall converter...custom driveshaft...400 yoke...mounts...the conversion kit to bolt it to your ford motor....etc. all for around a thousand dollars.....really
nope just the kit, basicly a bell houseing and a crank adaptor. but i ended up finding it way cheaper threw jw like mentioned above said round 400 bucks. for the bell h. and crank adapter.
and i seen that someone posted a diagram of a c 4, and i would love to rebuild what i have. but i can rebuild it stock all day long and burn it up the same day i put it in. unless someone has a vid to post on how to make it handle at least 650 hp i dont think rebuilding a c4 would be in my best interest right now. but if i can rebuild the c4 to handle that amount of hp. sign me up and save me some cash. bad thing is the chevy trans is a better more durable and would make my engine into a torque monster. just my thoughts.

#13 ·
Irelands child said:
Why not just rebuild any C4 that you already have instead of trying to bastardize something else. To do a C4 - really no special tools beyond a dial indicator They are about as simple to do as a 3-4 speed manual. Couple hundred bucks worth of parts from here or similar supplier, a weekend, and you are on your way. To do a performance build, another few hundred and a heluva lot better then some odd ball transmission for that enging.

do you know the correct way to build the c 4 to handle 650 hp, if you do im all ears, eyes and hands.
and im not trying to piss people off with the idea of putting the combo together i just want a car that launches hard, shifts solid, is durable and doesnt leave a trail of parts for the wrecker. truthfully if the trans guys in my area would come down a bit on the price id go with them to rebuild my c4, ive heard many horror stories of trying to rebuild auto trans. and altho im ready to give it a shot, but i dont think that i can handle a high proformance build my first shot. unless there that easy to make strong?????

#15 ·
#17 ·
Irelands child said:
Why are you so worried about the cost of a transmission when you have so much $$ tied up in that "650Hp" 351C. Doesn't compute
my explanation, Ive called countless trans shops around my town, i found one builder that new exactly what needed to be done to handle that hp and was the cheepest qoute. but the problem is he offered no warrenty other than his word and we all know that that '' word'' doesnt hold up to well on the side of the road. and the other shops knowlage of the subject didnt impress me much and the cost was all most double and a whole 30 day warrenty on labor. this didnt leave me to hopefullvthat the job would be done right. I am useing the 650 hp as a general number to over build my drive train, to lessen the break down factor, bye the time im done with the engine the total hp will be most likely be under 550 but i want a safety factor. because of the lack of warrenty and the conditions that im expecting to put my car under.
im not against putting money into the trans but with the experiance that ive had with just calling around for qoutes didnt leave me to excited to spend that kinda of money for inexperiance , basicly the lack of warrenty tells me that there not to solid on there knowlage of the subject and there just gonna give it a try at my expense.

#18 ·
C6

rick 427 said:
UMMM...Yes, a C-6 will bolt up....1 bolt pattern fits the 429-460- and 351m.....the other bolt pattern fits the 289-302-351w-351c
a c6 wont fit my 351 Cleveland it will only acept the 289.351w. 260 351c. The c6 has a square lookin top with a different bolt pattern. And a C4 is stronger than a 400 as far as i am concerned. i have seen many 35i C with C4s and never died.

#19 ·
rsfyj said:
a c6 wont fit my 351 Cleveland it will only acept the 289.351w. 260 351c. The c6 has a square lookin top with a different bolt pattern. And a C4 is stronger than a 400 as far as i am concerned. i have seen many 35i C with C4s and never died.
the c 4 stock according to a tech at ford tech line will handle 250-300 hp max with out up grades, a turbo 400 stock will handle 650 hp according to a chevy tech line. i was told that a c 4 wouldnt handle what im looking to throw at it in the conditions that im looking to throw at it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.