Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   T-5 Experts... (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/t-5-experts-221809.html)

S10xGN 07-17-2012 08:45 AM

T-5 Experts...

Hi All,

I'd like to find out exactly how many different "front case to bellhousing" bolt patterns there are out there on WC cases. I know there's a GM and at least one Ford pattern, but what about all the other vehicles (Jeep, AMC, Toyota, etc) these were used in. Did they all use one of these or other specific patterns? I have a WC box from an '87 Mustang 4 cyl (1352-162) that I plan to rebuild using either a G-Force or Astro gearset. So far, I haven't seen a bellhousing pattern that looks anything like the case on this trans. I'm stalled until I can find a bell that will work as-is or with minimal mods... BTW, to further compound the situation, this will be behind an LS motor.

Russ

mmerlinn 07-18-2012 12:56 AM

All except early GM used the "Ford" pattern, even the Ssang Yongs.

S10xGN 07-18-2012 08:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a McLeod 8630 bellhousing with my trans pattern overlaid on it. This is a swap bell, GM V-6/V-8 block to a variety of transmissions including the T-5. As you can see, the bottom two holes are close enough for (my) measurement error but the top two will need to be relocated. That's why I'm thinking the 4 cyl box has a ba$tard pattern. Anyone see a problem with re-drilling this?

Russ

AutoGear 07-18-2012 10:51 AM

Russ

I think what you're looking at is a err..selling point of the McLeod product. We see a LOT of variation is the scattershields these days. Get the casting number on the case. Merlinn is correct in his comment; however, the SSang Yongs weren't supposed to be sold in N America originally and you see them occasionally. Quality on these units varies widely. My assumption is that when the T5s started drying up, these SY's started finding there way here.

Post the casting number on the main case. I'll pull the case off the shelf and verify your dims. Those measurements were from the centers of the holes?

Im off Thursday and Friday; so I probably wont get to you until Monday; maybe someone here will have an old one and can check while Im out.

timothale 07-18-2012 11:01 AM

redrill

As long as there is enough metal thickness you can redrill and tap. Make sure the trans front bearing retainer, throw out bearing sleeve is a good tight fit then use a transfer punch to get the location dead on, drill a small pilot hole and work up to the size for your tap. My brother had a shop that did a lot of jeep V 8 conversions did a lot of stuff not in the instructions to make things work.

big gear head 07-18-2012 12:13 PM

Why not just get another case from a S10? I've got some of those that have the same bolt pattern as the old Muncie, T10 and Saganaw transmissions.

mmerlinn 07-19-2012 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoGear (Post 1574858)
Merlinn is correct in his comment; however, the SSang Yongs weren't supposed to be sold in N America originally and you see them occasionally.

A few years ago I managed to buy about 50 brand new Ssang Yong T5s (13-52-243) at an auction in Los Angeles that were still in the original factory boxes strapped to the original factory pallets. They wound up being sold to a company in Korea.

I suspect that most of those found in the U.S. were probably attained similar to how I attained mine. When I researched mine, I found that there were not enough parts in them that would fit U.S. units to justify keeping them. So, to Korea they went.

S10xGN 07-19-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoGear (Post 1574858)
Russ

I think what you're looking at is a err..selling point of the McLeod product. We see a LOT of variation is the scattershields these days. Get the casting number on the case. Merlinn is correct in his comment; however, the SSang Yongs weren't supposed to be sold in N America originally and you see them occasionally. Quality on these units varies widely. My assumption is that when the T5s started drying up, these SY's started finding there way here.

Post the casting number on the main case. I'll pull the case off the shelf and verify your dims. Those measurements were from the centers of the holes?

Im off Thursday and Friday; so I probably wont get to you until Monday; maybe someone here will have an old one and can check while Im out.

Nate, the case has #13-52-065-908 right above the reverse switch bung.

Quote:

Originally Posted by big gear head (Post 1574879)
Why not just get another case from a S10? I've got some of those that have the same bolt pattern as the old Muncie, T10 and Saganaw transmissions.

I'm gonna try and keep it all Ford, as the Astro or G-Force gear sets are primarily made for the Ford boxes. Cuts down on the complexity of trying to interchange stuff...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmerlinn (Post 1575091)
A few years ago I managed to buy about 50 brand new Ssang Yong T5s (13-52-243) at an auction in Los Angeles that were still in the original factory boxes strapped to the original factory pallets. They wound up being sold to a company in Korea.

I suspect that most of those found in the U.S. were probably attained similar to how I attained mine. When I researched mine, I found that there were not enough parts in them that would fit U.S. units to justify keeping them. So, to Korea they went.

OK I'll bite, WTF is a Ssang Yong? Some kind Calcutta doodlebug?

Russ

mmerlinn 07-19-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S10xGN (Post 1575133)
OK I'll bite, WTF is a Ssang Yong? Some kind Calcutta doodlebug?

Russ

Article about the SsangYong Motor Company

big gear head 07-19-2012 09:43 AM

Aren't all of the T5 WC cases the same internally?

mmerlinn 07-20-2012 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big gear head (Post 1575158)
Aren't all of the T5 WC cases the same internally?

No. But mostly minor differences.

big gear head 07-20-2012 06:09 AM

What are the differences? Would it be enough to prevent using Ford gears in a GM case?

mmerlinn 07-20-2012 09:20 AM

No, because lots of GM cases came with "Ford" gears.

One difference that comes to mind is that the later cases had a nubbin for a return spring to attach to.

IFIRC, some cases also had clearance problems for some gears, but easy to fix by grinding the case.

S10xGN 07-20-2012 09:37 AM

IIRC, the way the reverse gear sits in the case is the difference, also the tail case sometimes need minor grinding to clear aftermarket OD gear sets. I really need to call Astro or G-Force and get the official lowdown...

Russ

AutoGear 07-23-2012 07:43 AM

Okay; I'm back from vacation.
Russ; I don't have complete bills for every T5 anymore; however, a -908 is a very early casting. I found a -907 and a -909, and -904 which are all NON World Class.

I do not have one to be able to check your measurement. I would call GF/Astro and give them your casting number; it's almost certainly a NWC case, and I do not know if this is suitable for their gears.
With respect to the bellhousing; if you and the producer of the gearset feel its alright to use the case, then drilling and tapping to suit is not a problem.