t-5 to powerglide - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2010, 03:37 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

t-5 to powerglide

Hi everybody, I am rigging up another 3rd generation camaro with a bad t-5 and rear. I want to put my 355 and a power glide with a 10 bolt rear, my question is with the torque arm and mounting the powerglide(2400 stall) to it, I googled the B&M mount but it is discontinued but I found one from jegs.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Jegster/550/40...oductId=744012 Has anyone used this mount and how was it to install because I'm going to rebuild the original (3.73 or 3.45) one with the mount.

Advertisement

Last edited by jonahb; 02-12-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2010, 08:18 AM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I would have doubts about that "saddle mount", (or what it's bolted to), being strong enough, but the arm itself looks pretty good. I fabricated some frame connectors on the last 3rd Gen I did, and made a crossmember to connect them to a shortened stock torque arm, worked out pretty well.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:10 AM

Last photo:

Know guys who used it works great and can carry the front end without bending the floor up , the weak link is going to be the 7.5" rear it will break before the mount breaks
Old 02-14-2010, 12:07 PM
More for Less Racer

What Stimpy said ^^^, before you get too carried away you might want to look at what you are going to replace that puny 7.5" rear with before you go buying a torque arm mount or kit. You would be better off to figure out how to get the torque arm fitted to a fabbed truss mount on an 8.5" 10-bolt swap or an 8.8" Ford swap.

I have seen a similar torque arm mount to the one you listed, guy said it was made by Spohn, LT1 6-speed '95 Camaro IIRC, car ran high 10's while still being drivable, he swapped in a 8.5" 10-bolt from an late S-10, transferred the spring and control arm mounts, and he made a fabricated saddle mount to connect the race torque arm to the housing.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:27 PM

Last photo:

I have also seen guys use the factory mount just added extensions to mount the transes ( most are 350's ) ask around any of the racing guys to see if they did this .
as eric says Spohn and others make the mounts and some with better ( stronger arms and pinion angle adjustable )
Old 02-17-2010, 03:09 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickracer
I would have doubts about that "saddle mount", (or what it's bolted to), being strong enough, but the arm itself looks pretty good. I fabricated some frame connectors on the last 3rd Gen I did, and made a crossmember to connect them to a shortened stock torque arm, worked out pretty well.

I agree, it looks pretty weak but I can always beef it up some or modify the original a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
you might want to look at what you are going to replace that puny 7.5" rear with before you go buying a torque arm mount or kit. You would be better off to figure out how to get the torque arm fitted to a fabbed truss mount on an 8.5" 10-bolt swap
Do you remember what year/model the S-10 was because the rear has to come out anyways so I can keep an eye out for one.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:33 AM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Good luck finding an 8.5 S10 rear, they are almost as highly sought after as 12 bolt Camaro rears,
A much more easily obtained rear is an 8.8 from a 95 up Ford Exploder, 31 spline axles, generally available with posi and 3.55, 3.73, or 4.10 gears, 95 and later are disc brakes. Shortening one side of the housing and using a short side axle centers the pinion and makes them only about 1/2" longer than the S10 rear.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.