Hot Rod Forum banner

T-5 Transmission Questions

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  AutoGear 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the wire harness is that is coming out of my T-5 transmission? I would assume that it has to do with having the transmission in neutral to start the car. Also there is another item that appears to be a switch on the side of the transmission housing...what is it? My guess is that it may be a switch for the back up lights. The red cap near the tail section is where the speedo goes...right? Where exactly do I fill the transmission with oil and what type should I use?

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
pigtail on top goes to the neutral sensor. from what i understand it is NOT a switch but a sensor used for cruise control and other systems to hook into.

two post connector on the side is for reverse lights.

fill plug is the upper pipe plug (usually an allen socket) on the passenger side. don't remove those bolts on the driver's side thinking they are fill plugs.

mechanical speedo goes in where the red plug is.

like AutoGear says the fluid depends on what model but it's most likely ATF.

#6 ·
Thanks guys. The tag on the transmission has the part number (M-7003-Z) and another line of numbers and letters (1352-249N HO451). Another Y Block guy who is using a T-5 transmission said to use Dextron 4 (ATF) and start with 6 quarts. Should I use that or could I use something like Redline MTL?

#8 ·
M-7003-Z is the Ford Mo'Sport T5Z it is a "World Class" version of the T5 and is factory rated to 300ft-lb in a medium weight application with a stock clutch.

Since it is a world class version (WC), use an ATF as mentioned previously.
YOU WANT TO USE A NON SYNTH ATF like Dexron III. Some of the really slippery ATFs will wear the synchro rings prematurely.
What fluid in a T5Z? | Mustang Forums at StangNet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.