T-56 NO MORE 4TH GEAR, and NO 3RD GEAR SYNCOS!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2004, 03:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

T-56 NO MORE 4TH GEAR, and NO 3RD GEAR SYNCOS!!!

Can someone tell me why a new t-56 transmission would all of a sudden start poping out of 4th gear. Its not driven toooo hard. Ive never grinded the gears or dumped the clutch real hard or anything. I just drove my camaro down to Florida from Connecticut two days ago. When I left CT, it was poping out of 4th. When I hit traffic down in North Carolina on 95, I couldn't even use 4th anymore because all it did was grind and I wouldn't come back out. Then for some reason my syncro on my 3rd gear dissappeared. I can't downshift into third anymore, I have to double clutch the damn thing to get it into third. When I arrived in Ft. Lauderdale, I noticed that my shifter would move side to side when I hit the gas and let off the gas, I was almost as if I had a broken motor mount, but I can see my engine through my scoop and it wasn't moving, its something inside the tranny. I also noticed its very hard to get into 1st from neutral. Its also very hard to get into reverse. 5th and 6th gear are still fine. This is very frustrating because its a $2000 retro-fit tranny that has less than 4000 miles on it. Would anyone know what is happening with it?? Any replys that will help in understanding this problem will help alot. Im already trying to contact the company I purchased it from. This sucks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2004, 05:15 PM

Last journal entry: A quick trip
Last photo:

Sounds like something is wrong with the 3/4 gear slider.

My guess would be something in there wasn't put together right. I've never opened up that particular gearbox before, but most have roller bearings between different parts of the mainshaft, and if one of those rollers is missing, it can cause play in the shafts that can end up screwing up a variety of things. It doesn't take long for a missing roller to cause wear in nearby parts, so that could cause it to not want to shift correctly. Another possibility is the synchro's not being on quite right, or one of the gears could be split/cracked, which can prevent the dogs from seating correctly.

A bad spring (the one that holds the transmission in the gear) could pop out and get stuck somewhere in the slider assembly, which could do the same thing. I do know I pulled apart a 5 speed that one of the springs had popped out on, so it wouldn't go into or stay in 1/2nd gear very well, the spring had gotten jammed between the slider and 2nd gear, so you could put it into first real easy but it would pop out, then when you tried to put it into second it would hit the spring and you couldn't get the shifter back all the way.

Chris
Old 12-03-2004, 12:01 PM

Last photo:

Do you think a rebuild kit would fix this problem. A kit that comes with all new syncros and bearings and everything you need besides the gears? The company I purchased this off of will not help me out so I think im going to have to pull it apart and rebuild it. Has anybody rebuilt a t-56 before?? Is it very difficult. I have experience rebuilting munci 4-speeds. Is a t-56 much more challanging?? Any comments will help. Thanks
Old 12-04-2004, 12:31 AM
abstruse dutch uncle

Last photo:

Could a busted trans mount or loose crossmember cause the transmission to slide around and screw up the shift linkage like that?
Old 12-04-2004, 05:40 PM

Last photo:

I just found out that my whole tranny was moving, not just the shifter. The bolts for the tranny adapter plate to the bell housing are loose. so the tranny moves from left to right when I hit the gas. It sucks though because I have to pull the tranny out to get to the bolts. I might as well just pull it out and rebuild it. I down loaded a manual on how to rebuild a t-56, and Im probably going to order a base rebuild kit for it and see if I can fix it. I do have experience rebuilding muncis. Should I attempt to rebuild this tranny or should I bring it to a shop??
Old 12-05-2004, 10:39 AM

Last journal entry: A quick trip
Last photo:

If it's still under any warranty, take it to the shop. In fact, I would call the shop and let them know what is going on. If they offer, take it.

If you're going to end up coughing up cash, do it yourself. This box shouldn't be much more complicated than a muncie, they'll just be another pair of gears.

Not only will you get to learn something, but you'll also know it was done right.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.