t-bucket $400 worth it? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2005, 11:51 AM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Even if you decide not to build it after you can e-bay the parts and make a profit. That beer keg gas tank alone brings about $50 on ebay, the frame could probably go between $150-300, the body you could sell for $100-200 easy, grille shell could go for $40-60.

Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2005, 03:41 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

still debating whether or not to get it... after my second look to take the pictures i noticed how much work it would actually need. The fiberglass shell is pretty much junk so I would have to make one. The tires have cracked sidewalls so they can't really be reused. On the upside, the body is almost rust free somehow. The suspension doesn't look too good in the front, but in the back there are rust free coilovers. The differential on the back wheels is also rust free but it might not be of use to me. if it was a drag car the diff is proly locked and not usable on the street . Im wondering if he has a motor for it sitting around somewhere, because he seems to have gathered a lot of other parts for it.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:00 PM
Flamethrower

Last journal entry: More Cooling fan pictures.
Last photo:

Experience is a good teacher. I would rather learn what's what on a more complete car than plunge into a project only to find out you don't have the skills or resources to complete.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:24 PM

Last photo:

yeah thats the conclusion im coming to as well. Over the past couple days i've been looking into modding/building engines and there is a lot more out there than I thought. I have a feeling that even if I did buy it, it would just sit around rusting for a year or two until I had the skills needed to do anything with it . I think i'll tell him about this site though, so maybe he'll sell it to you guys.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:57 PM

car

Where is it ? tell me and I will buy it. have been building cars for longer than you are old, thats a deal. but its only a deal if you can afford it. yeah, you might be able to sell it to some one else, but why hasn't he? it looks like it was on its way to become a drag car, the body appears to be a fiberglass t 23/25 I can't tell if its poorly made, but obviously a project some one lost interest in, or ran out of money. at 17 I would have been mad about a project like that. Get a job, find something running, finish your education.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:59 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

I can't see the pics from my work computer -- it blocks most downloads. But -- see what your dad thinks. Most of the time an aborted project is a steal. Most of the parts are there. You're 17 -- you don't need to be driving something like this right now anyway. Most of it needs to come apart and be cleaned up -- the perfect project to keep you and a couple friends busy on afternoons and weekends (after homework!) -- and home instead of "loafing". Even if you don't do anything with it you can get your money back from parts. I'd appraoch dad with it as a learning project -- maybe he'll loan you the money. Then don't get in a hurry to build/drive it. Pull it apart, clean everything up, take inventory of what's useable, then decide whether to build or sell parts. And don't get carried away on the drivetrain. There are lots of guys building these things with modern EFI fours now. A dressed up Quad Four or Eco-Tec would look nice in there, and be an attention getter because it's different. That or a small V-6 or in-line six. I've seen Ts w/in-line sixes and three Weber carbs poking out the side, and an older four done the same way. Definitely gets the attention! Everyone puts a V-8 in them, and blowers are ho-hum too. The insurance company will like a four much better too, not a small consideration when you're under 25! And don't think a four cylinder T wouldn't be a hot rod. Drop 1,000 pounds from a Chevy Cavalier and it would be a respectable performer, capable of running in the 14s at a 1/4 mile strip. That's not exceptionally fast, but is RESPECTABLY fast. Many of the old muscle cars ran in the low 14s from the factory. My next rod will be four cylinder powered. Okay, it's a turbo four (Mercur XR4Ti drivetrain), but it will be low cost to build and operate while giving respectable performance (62 Rambler American -- weighs about 1,000 pounds more than that T!).
Old 07-09-2005, 02:28 AM

Last photo:

im looking for a bit more kick than a 4 or 6 though, but I agree with the problems I would probably have with insurance...would likely get it insured under parents. The car I have now already gets high 14's stock and was cheap, has cheap insurance, easily seats 4, and gets very good gas mileage . I did my research and bought a 4th gen nissan maxima 5 spd...very good car for how cheap they are (about 4-5k). Slightly faster than a mustang GT, Tuarus SHO, Acura Integra GSR, and Mitsubishi Eclipse of the same year... only it's a total sleeper. My friend who is also into cars thought it was such a good deal that he bought one himself shortly after. Motortrend gave it's engine a spot on it's "top ten engines of all time", and Car and Driver gave it import car of the year the year it came out. neways... enough rambling, back to topic

I know what you mean about a 4 or 6 being unique, but im worried that I would sacrafice reliabiliy by running the huge amounts of boost needed to get the kind of hp I wanted. Im looking for around 400 hp or more if possible. I would like to make a car reliable enough that I can abuse it for 100000 miles without it frying. My dad was once a mechanic and has told me to shy away from any kind of boost if I want reliability (part of the reason I got maxima). He even outright refused to get a car with a turbo(tried to get him to let me buy an old dodge stealth R/T). IMHO this reliability is possible with an old big block since they regularly went 50000 miles without an oil change back in the day.

I'm gonna break it to my dad as soon as I have a job and the money at hand, otherwise I fear it would be a lost cause (parents are strapped for money).
I also agree with those that say I need more experience, but deals like this don't come along very often. I'm not too worried about it being sold because he doesn't seem too pressed to get rid of it. If the tides turn sour for me (likely) I'll let him know to post something on this site if he is serious about selling it.

it seems to be an aborted project as you have said, but the guy obvoiusly has the knowledge to finish it, as he is actively working on a muscle car and restoring a 30's racecar. It makes me wonder exactly why he is aborting it...

since there seems to be some interest, ill describe what I noticed that might not be obvoius in the pictures. There is a differential between the rear wheels that looks functional and it isn't rusty. Lifting the rear trunk hatch reveals coilover rear suspension that also looks in good shape. The fiberglass body has a few big breaks in it and the fiberglass is yellowed from age. It almost looks like it needs to be redone. There is no kind of proper firewall...the present firewall is made of a piece of plywood.

I should know for sure whether im getting it within about a month. Im actively looking for a job and hoping ill have one and the money by then. If I can't get it i'll suggest to him to sell it on here
Old 07-12-2005, 12:48 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy larry
I was passing through town the other morning, there was a metal bucket body, by itself, in front of a shop. had $300 on it. When i went back through that afternoon, it was gone.
And you never called? You should have tied it to the roof of your ricer.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:57 AM

Last photo:

Looks like an old Ford banjo rear end. This is really a bargain and you probably should jump on it, but only to make some money. There are very few 17 year old kids with enough experience to finish a car like this on their own. There will be tons of fabrication and welding to start with and unless you are already versed in welding and have access to the equipment then you will never see this car on the street.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:07 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
This is really a bargain and you probably should jump on it, but only to make some money. There are very few 17 year old kids with enough experience to finish a car like this on their own. There will be tons of fabrication and welding to start with and unless you are already versed in welding and have access to the equipment then you will never see this car on the street.
Interesting. When I saw the pics my reaction was just the opposite. A perfect "learning" project for the beginner. My guess is a lot of us on this forum started out with something quite similar at 16 or 17. It's how we learned rudimentary welding, fabrication, suspension, engine, transmission and painting skills. None of us had "enough experience" when we started a project like this. That is the point.

Would the username bucket be easy? Nope. But I'm not sure it ought to be easy. Easy doesn't teach us much. It is the challenge of the unknown that provides the education. Obviously, if username needs an instant "driver" this is not the car for him. This is a "project" car...and will be months if not years in the making. It's an entry level hot rod at an entry level price.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:19 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Yup indeed

Yes I am with what Cboy said here..will take a young fellow a while to get that thing together but it will be a learning experience and he woudl have accumulated a whole new set of skills by the time he is done with it..

May be a stopping spot or two along the way while he gets his toolbox together..that can be overcome tho..

OMT
Old 07-12-2005, 11:16 AM

Last photo:

I would generally agree on the experience part but start with something that isn't quite so needy so you don't get discouraged or overwhelmed by it. If you have the equipment and assistance to tackle it then I say go for it. My point is that it takes a fairly well equipped shop to do fabrication and if you don't have access to the equipment and at least rudimentary skills in using the stuff then maybe the scope of a full on build like this isn't the place to start. Personally, I built my first jalopy from the ground up when I was younger than you but I had already been welding and using the cutting torch for several years and I had access to everything I needed, including a pickup to haul stuff home in.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:11 PM

Last journal entry: My 1962 Falcon
Last photo:

t-bucket

Go for it, and dont let so many talk you out of it. You have to start somewhere. I have never been afraid of trying or doing something i have never done before, this is how you learn. When i built my 1917 T i started with alot less than this, and i had to teach myself everything, body work, paint,"etc". I spent many hours doing research on the 1917 T, and after 10 months and a lot of hard work it was done. If you have problems along the way that is what this site is all about, getting help. You are at the right age to get started in this great hobby, so stick with it, and dont rush it.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:08 PM
Stitching or grease I love it

Last journal entry: Wings and Wheels fly in
Last photo:

MrWood. many of us are simply suggesting he educate himself while he is considering the "car". A small dose of knowledge before a commitment will go along way.

I hope I didn't come off as solely trying to talk him out of it in my post. We need more non-ricers in the world. This hobby cant survive without a constant influxtion of youth!! And yes you have to start somewhere.

Many other as I are just trying to tell him that with no job and no money at the moment. He needs to do at least some advanced studying before he buys into something he doesn't know. Username should be commended on some of his comments so far!

As an investment this has its good and bad that have been posted by many others thus far, one mans bargain can become that same mans BOAT ANCHOR.

Even if it is just to turn around and sell the parts, he also needs to consider the potential out come that wont be able to. I've seen a lot of guys out there say its a great deal for parts, until you try to sell those same parts to that same guy! Miraculously they turn to junk when his wallet is called out on the carpet. We all are trying to get the best deal in this world buying but rarely selling.

I didn't see any motor mounts and there were no holes for a seat riser holes anywhere in the floor. So to me it certainly looks like the seller is cutting the rope on his ANCHOR. Another Aborted Project in my opinion.

As to a T-Bucket, they can be a fun first project but it is a serious undertaking for a "Rookie" and should not be undertaken without a mentor and allot of prep work.

They are some of the most dangerous cars you can build and own. I have one, it is fun fun fun, but can be very unnerving to drive. With today typical drivers all around you on the road you are very exposed in the cockpit. Yes their is a sense of freedom but with the average Yahoos using cell phones and chugging Super sized gulps. Isolated in their sense of security of crumple zones and multiple airbags. They are more and more oblivious of their rectal cranium inversions while around you on the road.

I am not a T-bucket basher I enjoy mine. But after working on a team that was tasked to develop a digital model and collect stats on crash survivability for T-Bucket style platforms a few years back. When one of the big 3 was considering making a modern one to capture some of the market share the Prowler enjoyed a few years ago. It was really unnerving. Now that is not to say that any hot rod will have it's own issues, hell even modern cars have Achilles heals. But as T-buckets go, they are not a good first hot rod! If you make a mistake in fabrication and or have an unexpected event with another driver, it will be worse than most and that can be BAD BAD BAD.

Username, keep the faith. Get your learn on. Be sure there is more than one "once in a lifetime" deal.

Last edited by creativeinteriors; 07-12-2005 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:44 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Some very good points creativeinteriors. And you are quite correct about buckets being a handful on the road - as well as totally exposed in the event anything goes wrong at speed. I built a '23 (glass with Buick nailhead) while in high school & college and drove it all the time. But the truth is, I would NOT drive that same car today. At least not at highway speeds. With 40 years of experience since building that car, I now have a much better handle on how poorly I put that car together back then and just how dangerous it really was. So you are correct. Reading and research are essential in contemplating such a project. And you are also right that there are many other "once in a lifetime" projects waiting around the corner out there. It sometimes takes some effort to find them...but they are there.

Dewey

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.