T-Bucket automatic Shifter ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2006, 11:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

T-Bucket automatic Shifter ?

I am currently building a 23 T-Bucket, It is equiped with a Ford 302, and a C-4 auto trans. the car has the original frame and a fiberglass body. my question is which shifter to buy. I originally bought a B&M ratchet shifter with cable. I wonder if I should instead buy a Lokar "or some other unit "that bolts directly to the tranny, and just screw a boot to the floorboard. I really would like to go with the nostalgic look. My friend that is helping me says I need to go with the cable, I don't know, but I think the cable-less direct linkage installation would be best. I could always go with a long shifter if that would give me the look I desire. Any help would be greatly apprecieted.
Fred

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2006, 01:24 AM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

You might want to ask this is one of the other forums. This the ART forum, and you probably won't get much response to your question in here.
You might want to try the Transmission forum.
Later,
WEIMER
Old 02-04-2006, 09:07 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

The advantage of the cable shifter is much greater flexibility in locating the unit in your cockpit. T-buckets are very cramped to begin with, so location of the unit becomes even more important in order conserve leg room and avoid interference from your seat and/or dash I once saw a bucket with the shifter to the LEFT of the driver, right along side the door area. While that may not be your cup of tea, it does give you an idea of the flexibility of the cable shifter option.

Dewey
Old 02-04-2006, 09:34 AM
T buckets rule

I have 2 t buckets one has a Lokar shifter and the other has a BM cable. I like them both
Old 02-05-2006, 07:53 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat
I really would like to go with the nostalgic look. Fred
Based on your statement; I would suggest that you use either a Lokar or a Gennie shifter with the long shift lever (straight or 'S' bend style). I have used both and prefer the Gennie shifter so that I can have a greater choice of shift knobs. The lokar shifters must have a button in the knob to work correctly. Gennie shifters have a 28" long version and Lokar has a new 32" long version.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:49 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Again, I have nothing whatsoever against the solid linkage, long handled shifters. Just be aware that depending on how your engine and trans are mounted, how your seats and seat cushions are made and how your dash is constructed, you may have some obstacles to contend with and you don't have much wiggle room for a mounting position. Those long handled shifters do increase the throw, so make sure you can go through every gear without encountering something solid.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:56 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

May be too late, but here is my solution

Years ago I had a Total Performance T bucket with a very hot 351/C4. I did not have room for the Gennie shifter as it would have come up way under the dash - but then I had the engine moved forward ~4" so I could run a driveshaft !!!! (Which was 7-8" long CL to CL of the non-moving u-joint part) I used the B&M Z Gate which is/was the cheapest one they sell. Worked great. Lokar's didn't exist back then.

Lokars are somewhat adjustable as far as where the lever mechanism is mounted by their plate and the "banana" brackets - I'm using their 16" on a crate 5.0/TCI C4 now in a '31 A roadster. It is a bit complicated to set up in a car but if the engine and trans are bolted up and sitting on the floor, it is much easier to adjust the linkage and kickdown cable.

All you have to do is loop and bracket the B&M's extra cable length to the (wood?)floor boards and it is out of sight and out of mind.

Good luck - buckets are great fun
Old 03-29-2006, 02:01 PM

T-Bucket Shifter

Irelands Child,
Thanks so much for the shifter info, it was very useful. I'll probably have more questions in the future about other issues. Watch for me, as you have been there, and I am still in the process for the first time.
Thank you again,
Bobcat
Old 03-29-2006, 02:06 PM

T-Bucket shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weimer
You might want to ask this is one of the other forums. This the ART forum, and you probably won't get much response to your question in here.
You might want to try the Transmission forum.
Later,
WEIMER
Thank you for the help, Bobcat
Old 03-29-2006, 02:11 PM

T-Bucket shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
The advantage of the cable shifter is much greater flexibility in locating the unit in your cockpit. T-buckets are very cramped to begin with, so location of the unit becomes even more important in order conserve leg room and avoid interference from your seat and/or dash I once saw a bucket with the shifter to the LEFT of the driver, right along side the door area. While that may not be your cup of tea, it does give you an idea of the flexibility of the cable shifter option.

Dewey
Thank you for the info, that really puts into perspective for me, how versatile the cable set up is.
Thanks, Bobcat
Old 03-29-2006, 02:14 PM

T-Bucket shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco
Based on your statement; I would suggest that you use either a Lokar or a Gennie shifter with the long shift lever (straight or 'S' bend style). I have used both and prefer the Gennie shifter so that I can have a greater choice of shift knobs. The lokar shifters must have a button in the knob to work correctly. Gennie shifters have a 28" long version and Lokar has a new 32" long version.
Thank you very much for the info, it helped me tremendously.
Bobcat

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.