Once the base was built I started on the back. The first "design" did not work out as planned, so instead of wasting a good hunk of plywood, I used it to make a template:
I then transferred to another piece and cut out the back:
Once the back was in, I started looking a little closer and realized there was a couple inches of wasted space in this design:
So I took a little from some chair building and decided to make a sculpted back (think muskoka chair), I mean what the hell, if you are going to do it, might as well make it complicated!!
Here is the back with the webbing area cut out, the strip in top is the template for the wood needed for the sculpted area:
Transferred to some more plywood cut out and glued up. Then came the fun of making it fit as I wanted, which included sanding, sanding, some more sanding, shredding the last belt I had before finishing, and you guessed it more sanding. Here is the result:
The shape of the cutout mirrors the contours of the body:
Then came the webbing, I have been told, and I am sure I will here again that I used to much webbing, but webbing is cheap and its easier to remove a belt at a later date:
I had to go out looking for "seat" webbing instead of "back" webbing yesterday, luckily I found some, it has less stretch then the back stuff, anyway, here is the start of the bottom:
I have a new appreciation for those that do this work a lot, after doing the bottom and back my hands HURT from stretching the webbing out!
Bottom finished up:
Then I did the back, this was a little different due to the curves, but the same result:
Here they are installed:
Even with out any foam, they are pretty comfy. I was told the best way to test them out is to just sit in them for a couple hours, I think I will do that while watching the hawks tonight, should be a good test.