Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   T Bucket body? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/t-bucket-body-576.html)

Studebaker 11-20-2002 08:29 PM

T Bucket body?

Has anyone out there had experience with fiberglass T Bucket bodies. There are numerous manufactures (Total perf, Calif custom roadster, Spirit, MAS) to name a few. I would like to get info from you bucket builders on which was the strongest and best made. Any info is welcome!

BOBCRMAN@aol.com 11-21-2002 06:01 PM

Total Performance has a good body, MAS is a cheap spray up.

pasadenahotrod 11-21-2002 09:05 PM

Bucket T bodies need to looked at before they are bought. Molds don't last forever and some manufacturers don't seem to know this. I bought several very nice bodies from a 'glass outfit in Minnesota. Call Little Dearborn Parts on Se University Dr. in Minneapolis and ask them who the fibreglass outfit is. Old age has dimmed my memory, just can't recall the name. They also make a nice Mullins trailer setup.
Just for fun, check around your area at local boat shops or fibreglass manufacturers, way back when, everybody was knocking off the bucket t and dune buggy (remember Meyers Manx?) bodies and it seemed every boat shop in the Houston had a mold for either one or both!

Madd Syntst 11-25-2002 11:55 AM

There were a couple of inexpensive setups on e-bay recently. May still be there.(Nov 25)

26trackt 11-25-2002 04:31 PM

You might look around for an original metal body like I did. I paid $20.00 for mine. After I find a set of doors and patch up all the rust I'll only have about $10,000.00 in the body, $30,000.00 in equiptment, be 20 years older, and be a top notch fabricator. Remember; it aint real if it aint steel.

bobby w 12-30-2006 10:32 PM

tbucket

Quote:

Originally Posted by Studebaker
Has anyone out there had experience with fiberglass T Bucket bodies. There are numerous manufactures (Total perf, Calif custom roadster, Spirit, MAS) to name a few. I would like to get info from you bucket builders on which was the strongest and best made. Any info is welcome!

im in the process of building a 23 from speedway and having good luck with everything, the body seems to be tough and they have a pretty good tech. department, any way i can help, let me know.

baddbob 12-31-2006 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26trackt
You might look around for an original metal body like I did. I paid $20.00 for mine. After I find a set of doors and patch up all the rust I'll only have about $10,000.00 in the body, $30,000.00 in equiptment, be 20 years older, and be a top notch fabricator. Remember; it aint real if it aint steel.

That was good, LOL :D

bobscogin 12-31-2006 11:21 AM

Any info is welcome![/QUOTE]

I've been very satisfied with the Speedway Motors body that I'm using on my current project. I've never had any experience with the others. While I never discount the value of quality, the "quality" of a '23 T body is not nearly as critical as it would be with a more complex body such as a '32 or '34. Any T-bucket body you buy will need a tremendous amount of glass work, reinforcing, floor installed, door if desired, etc., so you're really just starting with a "shell" that you modify to suit your build.

Bob