T-bucket companies - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2005, 11:24 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

T-bucket companies

I'm considering a T-bucket project, and was wondering if anyone had thumbs up/down experiences with companies such as Total Performance, Speedway, or other suppliers. This will be my first project, and I'm thinking of a 289/c-4 combo for simplicity. Suggestions? Comments? Is there something else that I should consider

Any and all input is GREATLY appreciated!! www

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2005, 01:15 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Although I do not have a T and am not a huge customer. I have had experience with Total Performance. I have purchaced parts, seen them at the Turkey run and would say they are professionals and will help with good solid information. I have even called them asking about specs regarding front end alignment and they freely answer.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by www
I'm considering a T-bucket project, and was wondering if anyone had thumbs up/down experiences with companies such as Total Performance, Speedway, or other suppliers. This will be my first project, and I'm thinking of a 289/c-4 combo for simplicity. Suggestions? Comments? Is there something else that I should consider

Any and all input is GREATLY appreciated!! www
I have built a Total performance T-Bucket, for the most part there products are top notch, their support is excelent and they are very professional. To keep it simple you may want to concider a SBC and a turbo 350 tranny. This is the combo that works best in most of these kits. I have heard that speedway is also supposed to be good, but I have no first hand information. I also liked Total because they are only 1 1/2 hours away from me and I got to go there to check out a few different options. The only major issue I had was fron calliper mounts, they were drilled wrong. not their fault they outsourced them, they didnt have any more Chromes that were drilled proper so they loaned me a set that I could paint until more good chromes came in. They were very appologetic about the whole thing and he gave me a few goodies to make up for my aggravation. Call and talk to Brian, he will hook you up
Old 12-08-2005, 03:37 PM

As I mentioned in another thread, California Custom Roadsters (www.californiacustomroadsters.com) has been doing T's since the 60's. Their bodies are available 4" longer than stock, and that is a plus. They have everything you could possibly need, and even sell plans...
Old 12-08-2005, 05:19 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

www.tbuckets.com
www.spiritindustries.com
www.speedwaymotors.com
www.californiacustomroadsters.com

and
www.nationaltbucketallience.com for any aditional T specific help you may need.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:27 PM

Thanks!!

The CCR web site looks promising, so I think I'll venture down there to check 'em out. Also, indeed a SBC/350 would be simpler, but something compels me to put a Ford engine into the 'bucket. Besides, the 289/Mustang combo did rock the industry in the early sixties.

As always, this site is a great source!! www
Old 12-08-2005, 05:45 PM
Bowtie or Die!

Last photo:

I owned a T bucket from Total Performance. It was a very well designed machine. heres a few pics of it. Many liked it because it was all ford drive train.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2004_0612Image0011.JPG
Views:	418
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	8222   Click image for larger version

Name:	2004_0612Image0010.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	8223   Click image for larger version

Name:	0002.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	8224  
Old 12-08-2005, 06:57 PM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

You can check out my journal for a build up of a total performance T bucket. Never could understand why everone seems to think sbc is simpler. I used a sbf and had no problems. Why not do something really different? Lets face it, a t body is a t body. The motor you use, paint and wheels/tires is what makes it your own.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:58 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I have good luck with speedway for parts in the past..and a stock 302 will go like stink in a lite car like that..

OMT
Old 12-09-2005, 07:44 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Arrowhead, that's a nice car! I hope the 4.6L DOHC works out for you. The dressed up pic you posted looks real good, but to me the engine is just way to big physically for the car. I don't like the looks of it. I think the small T looks better with a "right sized" engine. A small block V-8 is the largest I'd put in, and I truly think a 3.0L or so V-6 or big in-line four would be much more suited to a T. I know it would make the car more driveable, and just as much (if not more) fun. Even a small block V-8 way over powers the chassis to the point you have to be careful with it. But that's just me! I know the majority of people like to plop big motors between the rails of a T.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:37 AM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

farna,

Thanks for your kind words. I appreciate your candid comments about my motor choice too. Hopefully, I can pull off this motor swap so it looks nice and clean.

I beg to differ with your comments about driveablilty though. I drove this car daily and it is fun to drive. Never did I feel uneasy driving it or felt it was uncontrollable even on wet roads and in the rain. But I also attribute that to reasonable sized tires in the rear and tires in the front that are wide enough to brake and steer well. (Rather than the exaggerated "big and littles") As far as power, it is geared VERY tall, 2.79's so it is not the rocket that many cars are. But I can cruise at 70 MPH comfortably and get 21 MPG

I attended many shows and cruisein's and I can tell you of all of the hard work and creative things I tried to do, inevitably, the questions and the crowds gathered around the motor. What motor is that? what intake? is that fuel injected? etc. So when I came across this DOHC 4.6, I thought I'd step it up a notch. I look forward to your comments when I get it back on the road.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:37 PM

Last photo:

Good choice if?

Hi

I have an older T Bucket. It is registered as a 1923 Model T in the state of Nevada (not easy to do). I love my bucket and my wife (Mary) and I drive it all over town. We have had several hot rods over the years and truly our t bucket turns more heads than any thing else we have had. I would recommend the chevy 350 with a 350 trans as a good system but there are other systems that work well. Well, I wish you the very best of luck,
Jerry
Old 12-19-2006, 01:09 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:

I built a Total '23 T- bucket using a very well warmed over 351W/C4 combination and was very happy with the car. There were some glitches with using the Ford - the engine needs to be moved forward 3-4 inches just to have a driveshaft - mine was, I believe 9" CL to CL of the u-joints - which I replaced every year. The radiator was moved forward a like amount. I had a lot of compliments with that change as it seemed to improve the visual balance of the car by having the engine totally visible instead of jammed against the firewall. Also, the TP method of connecting the steering shaft to the steering box is downright unsafe - it is a slip joint. After mine failed I installed a u-joint that was pinned to the shaft and lock screwed to the input of the steering box. Micky Lauria (TP's owner) and I had several conversations about that - especially after a buddy's failed the same way.

I do recall being parked at an NSRA Nats show between 2 beautiful black '32 coupes and having most of the spectators walk right by their cars to mine - one guy went so far as to ***** about it to me (a well known street rod supply house owner that I will never buy from again).

My old car now gone to a new owner:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bucket23.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	16951  
Old 12-19-2006, 03:30 PM

Last photo:

Ok, is it true that those who put small block chevy combos in T's are not bright enough to figure out a different engine combo? From what some of you are saying is that the chevy combo is the easiest or other engine combos are beyond the average hot rodders IQ. The guy wants to do a 289 which is smaller in outside dimensions than a small chevy and it weighs less to boot. I see another guy with a 351 in his and another that looked like a older elephant engine. You have a radiator, firewall and two frame rails and everything else is too difficult besides a small block chevy. This is unbelievable!
I am planning on building a few T's this summer with Buick 350, Olds 350 or 455 and a Pontiac 326-455. I plan to do this because I have the engines in my basement all but the Pontiacs. I think for the Pontiac T I will try to find a 336, this should be interesting MPG wise with super low gears or overdrive and its 3.875 stroke if I can find one. I do have a 305 chevy but thats going to be used for my glass table top to set on.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:46 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:

Most 23 T's are set up by the chassis mfr for SB Chevys - the default engine of most simply because it has become the most popular engine for rods. I've seen T buckets with everything from I4/I6/V6/GM Diesel/392 Hemis and about everything in between. BUT, 7-8 out of 10 still have the tried and true SB Chevy. Possibly it is also that often it is a first car for many and it's easy to put a Chevy in place when a manufacturer has to build for the "masses".

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.