t-bucket rearend - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 07:17 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

Fake quick change.

I still have My secont T bucket, It has a front load and rear tin cover Olds housing. Olds and pontiac were THE rear to use before 9 in fords caught on, I checked with the tin cover gasket and bought a finned aluminum rear cover and drilled and tapped new holes for the aluminum cover. My third T project I bought has a 9 rear that some one welded on a couple brackets and bolted on the back half of a broken real aluminum Halibrand quick change. Speedway sells fake quick change covers I don't know if they would work. I might have to make an adaptor plate to put one on my ford 8.8 rear/

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to timothale For This Useful Post:
DeeW (01-04-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 08:07 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

The Ford 8 and 9" rear ends are the 'standard' of the performance car industry and there are still many available in salvage yards or swap meets as they were used until the mid '80s. There are also brand new versions of the 9" rear ends being built, though not inexpensive. The Ford 8.8 is the next 'favorite' with the integral parking brake being the best. The 8.8 was introduced in 1986 and carried through the entire Ford line to current day. Now, with that said, there are other brands that can be used just as well - GM have several in the rear wheel drive cars - 10 and 12 bolt come to mind. A car builder isn't limited by make though there are some final drive ratios that just aren't performance capable and some that are too wide to narrow and others too weak, fitted behind low power economy engines.

I do have to say though that the '57-'59 Ford 9" with the rounded back cover is the best looking though
Old 01-04-2013, 08:29 AM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The car 9 inch rear ends had the smooth cover up to '64. I've had a bunch of the '57 to '64 Ford 9 inch rear ends over the years. I sold 3 of them last year and 1 about a month ago. They are still out there. Currie and Moser make new housings with the smooth rear cover. I think the 8 and 9 inch and also the 8 3/4 Chrysler look best in the T bucket because you can paint and polish them the same as the body.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:45 AM

I am looking at a stock 1979 Malibu rearend, 10 bolt for general driving and because it's free. I beleive it is 58" in length. Does anybody know if this would be a good mate with the Speedway solid front spring over axle, 48"?
Old 01-04-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeW View Post
I am looking at a stock 1979 Malibu rearend, 10 bolt for general driving and because it's free. I beleive it is 58" in length. Does anybody know if this would be a good mate with the Speedway solid front spring over axle, 48"?
Free is always good - but many of those around that vintage have ridiculous 2.41 -2.73 ratios tho some will be in the 4.10 range (pick ups). Couple a very low numerical range with a tall tire and you end up with a dog performance wise. 58" will work - on a bucket the big/wide rear wheels and tire (almost) always 'hang out' way further then the skinny front
DeeW (01-04-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 01:12 PM

AFA width is concerned, the offset of your rear rims can compensate some for a wide housing. An s-io rear is plenty strong for most buckets, if you do some research,you can probably find 1 w/ desirable gear ratio & posi ,& the width you want[4whl is different than 2whl & some years are more desirable than others ]plus parts are still readily available. Personally I like a rearend w/ a dropout center section for ease of service [it's something I can work on w/o alot of special tools] plus the back is clean.

You might call Spirit Ind. cause I think s-10 is all they use...

dave
The Following User Says Thank You to 2old2fast For This Useful Post:
DeeW (01-04-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 01:33 PM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

If the rear end is going to be easily seen then the Malibu rear end is going to be very ugly. If it will be up under the body where you can't see it then that's fine. Many T buckets have the rear end right out there where you can see it and the front load rear ends are just a lot better looking.

Yes, the Malibu rear end is 58 inches wide. A FOX body Mustang 8.8 is 59 1/2 inches wide and the early Ford 9 inch is about 59-60 inches wide.
The Following User Says Thank You to big gear head For This Useful Post:
DeeW (01-04-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 02:15 PM

I would NOT recommend any kind of posi/equa loc rear end in a bucket. You don't have fast enough reaction time if that rear transfers drive traction from a slipping tire to a non slipping tire. Instant turn in a 15-1800 pound, short wheel base car in the direction of the slipping tire. "Experts", don't say BS unless you have either seen that happen or had it happen to you - i've experienced both
Old 01-04-2013, 04:41 PM

Guess my reaction time is quicker[or I'm just lucky] I've been running a lok-rite for 11 years & 35K miles & while it's been close a few times [my wife pee'd herself once] it's never gotten away from me!!
dave

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.