Hot Rod Forum banner

T bucket steering column angle

12K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Northstar T 
#1 ·
Hi folks, Im thinking of picking up a t-bucket kit but Ive noticed on some t-buckets the steering wheel/column angle is almost flat like a bus as opposed to like a 45 degree angle. Is there something that determines this? I wouldn't think driving with the steering wheel almost flat like a bus would be too comfortable. Thanks for the input!

Juan

#2 · (Edited)
The steering column angle will be based on where the steering box is. There are a lot of ways to skin this cat.

The words "comfortable" and "T-bucket" normally aren't heard spoken together.

On my '27 RPU I used 3 steering universal joints and a Vega steering box with cross steering to get the steering column in a "comfortable" angle. It can be done but it takes some planning early on in the construction of the vehicle.

Results may vary.

#4 ·
steering angle

i never drove a flat steering and when i built both of mine i did the angle thing.. last one took a week to figure out for that one was a complete custom everything.. no kit.. i attached a pic but when finished it would have been better if it were more upward toward the w/s.. the column was a piece of SS swimming pool ladder and i have bushings made.. i also used a much large pc of steel to attach column to and to floor for i had no support from the dash.. worked great. the angle will be for u to decide, put your seating in or something close and start from there.

Attachments

#5 ·
Make it all fit

The last 2 T bucket chassis I used the CCR blueprints, It uses a reversed corvair box mounted just foreward of the firewall. I built a couple T's in the late 50's that had the column all most straight up and down . NO foot room with 3 pedals and not much space for the side shift mechanism on the stick trans. Putting the steering gear box farther foreward then you have to deal with other things, starter, headers, fuel pump. depending on the engine you are using. I liked the CCr plans because everything has been done before. Just make your own patterns using their prints for a guide. and we cut up a Jag cage to use as drill guides. . I used the optical plasma at the college to make the Jag IRS pieces and they were distorted, and the corvair bolt holes were off a little.

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

There are some glass bodies available that have more room. I found my first Steel 16 body In 1951, It is still in the back of the barn and needs restored. It is a lot smaller that the 23 glass bodies still under construction. When I was taking a street rod class at UVU a few years ago one of the "grandpa"s was making longer steel doors for his 27. MY brother built his T bucket using shortened Touring parts, 23 back end and 20 front cowl and doors and had a bit more room.

#6 ·
corvair box

corvair box is ok. used on both buckets.. now understand.. IF u reverse the box the pitman arm is down and may or may not present a clearance problem.. and stock box (non rev) the pit will be up and more horizontal to front end.. if u want to eliminate any bump steer do not rev it.. with that said my first bucket was rev and had no problem but i didn't like the look so i changed that design on #2.

#8 ·
Mini truck box

My son used a mid 80's Mazda pickup box on his 22 dodge lakester. The first T bucket used ford flathead parts with a 50 Olds engine. The steering box was 6 turns lock to lock so i designed the linkage to us all 6 turns. On the first test drive out in a field I was sliding around and found I couldn't turn the steering wheel fast enough to keep it under control, to reverse a slide.

#9 ·
I actually found that my 'bucket with a close to flat steering wheel wasn't too bad to drive. It did hide the reversed and polished aluminum Corvair box, having a cleaner looking frame rail. Had I kept the car I may have moved it to in front of the firewall as I am 6'4"/200 ++ and the loss of size 11/12 foot room was a PITA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.