t-buckets - please tell me someone makes bodies for Taller gents =) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2008, 10:54 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

t-buckets - please tell me someone makes bodies for Taller gents =)

hi, been searching way, way, way too long today and cant sit any longer...

will keep this short and to the point!

been searching/test driving t-buckets. i like most everything about them, EXCEPT i dont fit well at all...at 6'2"/250, finding them more and more uncomfortable. in fact, took one out for a ride yesterday and although i want to buy it right this very moment, am so apprehensive that i will reget it for anything over a 15min drive.

in short, my objective;
find something longer, wider and deeper if at ALL possible, but retain the t-bucket appearance and style.

anyone have recommendations or any guidance to offer on how someone my size can find a t-bucket, OR if necessary have one made, to fit me?

hoping someone can help =(

open to all suggestions and proposals...in desperate need of directions for this annoying, albeit, very important "fit/fitting" consideration prior to making a substantial financial investment.

cant wait to hear from ANYONE on their experiences, especially all you TALL FELLAs out there =)

thanks well in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2008, 01:17 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

You could make one out of a 73-79 Ford pickup hood. I have been tossing this idea around for a while.

Shane
Attached Images
File Type: bmp hood rod.bmp (34.2 KB, 153 views)
Old 07-13-2008, 07:13 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

The longest you can get them is 6" extended in the cowl and 4" I belive extended in the bucket itself, so not much at all.. California Custom Roadsters is the only company I know of that will do both in 1 body...
Old 07-13-2008, 11:40 PM

hi Chevrolet4x4s & matt167

thanks for the posts...some alternatives indeed...i appreciate that very much. will keep on snooping around, but it sounds like i should be looking into other vehicles, perhaps a early-mid 30s era body style.

well, keep on rodding! thanks again.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:10 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iukini
hi Chevrolet4x4s & matt167

it sounds like i should be looking into other vehicles, perhaps a early-mid 30s era body style.

Bingo on that thought, the T's are like the harley choppers you see these days, LOOK great at the bar but not much to drive and try to live with.. If you look at the 30 era may I suggest you go from the 34, the 32s are tight, squashy, stubby and boring. Another cockpit killer is these big puffy 6 way sets that are crammed into the cars. And the last information I would pass along is look at the cockpit and notice if you could squeeze out an inch here and there, moving the seat back. You would not believe how much room one can come up with by tightening up on the interior.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:53 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

I think the Total Performance Anniversary body is longer and wider.

Chet
Old 07-14-2008, 10:40 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:

I had a 'bucket and loved it. But - if you're tall, and I'm 6'4" (but not 250 - yet)it almost feels like you are sitting on it instead of in the car. There are several things that you can do with one you build yourself - mostly in the seat area - they sit too high. CCR as Matt said does make an extended body version.

With '30s cars as Pepi said, using the puffy seats from 'donor cars' and especially with the head rests really limits your inside dimensions and IMHO, look ridiculous. Many of the imports can be cut to fit nicely. There are several good aftermarket street rod seat mfrs as well - Glide (I have theirs), Wiseguys, and Tea's come to mind. With the Glide and Wiseguys you can have them upholstered to almost slide under the rear deck. Mine are done that way - and I have lots of legroom in my '31 roadster (which has only a tiny bit smaller cockpit then a '32). The Tea's seats are nice as well but would not fit my particular car as well as I thought they should nor does my back appreciate their lumbar support - personal opinion tho.

Whatever - if it's a '30s car, and the seats don't fit the style, they can always be changed out if all else is right for you.

Dave W
Old 07-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
been searching/test driving t-buckets. i like most everything about them, EXCEPT i dont fit well at all...at 6'2"/250, finding them more and more uncomfortable.
Quote:
but it sounds like i should be looking into other vehicles, perhaps a early-mid 30s era body style.

I am 6 foot 2 inches tall and weigh in @ 280 ... I drive my 32 a good bit and find it comfortable.

I am the man with the white long sleeve T-shirt on and my back to the camera. I drove the roadster 521 miles that day. I do agree that the seat placement and construction has a good bit to do with being comfortable.

1933 and 1934 Fords do have a little more room. They are about 2 inches wider and at least 2 inches longer in the interior compartment.

But, the fact of the matter is ... when you move out of the T-Buckets ... you also move out of the T-Bucket price range. T-Buckets are generally a lot lower priced than the usual 32, 33 and 34 Fords. T-Buckets are the entry level fiberglass vehicle for a lot of folks. They are not a LOT of long time T-Bucket owners. The ride, lack of room and overall ownership of a T-Bucket usually has the first time buyer/builder looking for a more comfortable car.

I like them ... but they are really only good for short drives and going to local cruise-ins IMHO. Another thing is the OPEN air of a Hot Rod. Not everyone really likes the wind, weather and all ... so a LOT of T-Bucket owners go looking for a closed car ... with more room.

I have owned my 32 Ford Roadster for over 30 years ... but even I ( my wife ) has decided I need a closed car ... in addition to my roadster. So I am building a 32 Ford coupe ( shown below ) ... with windows, a roof and A/C ...

I believe if I were you and looking to buy ... I would try and go to a big NSRA or GoodGuys event and look at the cars there. There are ALWAYS a lot of vehicles for sale at the big events.

The NSRA Street Rod Nationals will be held in Louisville Ky from July 31st 2008 to August 3rd 2008. Last year over 10,000 pre-49 vehicles were registered and a LOT of them were for sale. There also will be a lot of the major vendors at Louisville ... with bodies, frames and all the stuff you need to build or modify a rod.

http://nsra-usa.com/index.php/site/evdet/96

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Last edited by Deuce; 07-14-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:50 PM

Last photo:

You might want to look at '27 T roadsters. You can get those as fiberglas bodies and build up like a T-bucket but you definitely get more room. We built my buddy a '23 T, which was fun for a little while. Since then we tore it apart and will build a '27 T instead.

Much cheaper then doing a Model A or '32 Duece.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:18 PM
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I believe Spirit makes a 27T roadster body shell - I have seen one and it is nice for leg room compared to the standard 23T. These may require a longer frame to accommodate the extra length.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:59 PM

Last photo:

Speedway Motors also builds one (and a number of other companies). Speedway also has frames for these if you don't want to build your own.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.