a/t kickdown cable adjustment - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2003, 10:11 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Unhappy a/t kickdown cable adjustment

I have a 78 El Camino with a SB350 V-8. I just put new Hedman headers on and a lot of engine "dress up" accessories. I replaced the stock throttle cable bracket with a chrome one, but am not sure how to adjust the kickdown cable. I have a Haynes manual that explains it in full detail, but am not sure if I am doing it right. I have also read a lot of posts on this sight that talk about the kickdown cable but don't explain step by step how to adjust it. When I took the stock bracket off, the kickdown cable "slide" was bolted so that it did not "slide", when the throttle moved so did the kickdown cable. Right now it is "loose" so that it only moves when the throttle is wide open (thats what the book says) which is right??? When I punch the gas to the floor the transmission does not shift quickly out of first gear, when I drive normal it still doesn't shift quickly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2003, 11:44 PM

Last photo:

The cable does need to slide on the carb pin. If not, you can pull the cable out of the tranny, or break the linkage inside the tranny.

If it shifts slow, you may need some attention given to the overall condition of the tranny.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:17 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Not sure what you're trying to achieve...

TH 350 kickdown cables don't have (as far as I know) anything to do with how quickly the tranny shifts from one gear to the next, you could just shift it manually if you wanted and it should snap right into the next gear without any trouble. Check your fluid if its shifting slowly and make sure the fluid isn't all burned up.

As far as actually adjusting it, its a matter of taste. Bolt it to the throttle on your carb wherever you want the shift points to be. Unlike a Chrystel, this tranny isn't going to burn up if you do it wrong, so have fun playing with it.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:06 AM

Last photo:

Jmark's right, the "cable" needs to move, not the housing, your kickdown cable should be at the end of it's travel with the throttle wide open, fasten the housing when you get to that point. if that doesn't help, check the vac. modulator on the trans. should hold vacuum,and check hose connections at both ends, check eng for vacuum leaks, the more throttle, the higher the shift points!
Old 10-27-2003, 08:04 AM

Smile

Thanks to all. With your help and info from other posts I was able to attach the cable correctly and have adjusted the shift points to my preference.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.