t p i pinging problem 305 engine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine> Modern Electronic Engines
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 02:20 PM

Last journal entry: 34 street beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

t p i pinging problem 305 engine

hey guys.need help badly.havea 34 ford with a 1986 305 tuned port engine that i just purchased,my problem is it pings,even with octane boost.it has the plug for an knock sensor,but none installed.it has maf.
engine serial #v06c2dda.which tells me its out of a firebird.the stock ecm
is supposed to be-1227165,but it has a 16198262 .anyone know if they are compatable?it runs fine,except for the pinging,but also needs 10 minutes warm up time ,or it stalls.mabe a different problem but would like to solve pinging befor she goes away for winter storage.any ideas would be appreciated greatly.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I would think getting a knock sensor for it would be the first step in the right direction to help get the ping under control before it destroys the engine. Make sure you get one for the 305 engine as the sensor must match the cubic inches.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:19 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by chphlds View Post
hey guys.need help badly.havea 34 ford with a 1986 305 tuned port engine that i just purchased,my problem is it pings,even with octane boost.it has the plug for an knock sensor,but none installed.it has maf.
is supposed to be-1227165,but it has a 16198262 .anyone know if they are compatable?it runs fine,except for the pinging,but also needs 10 minutes warm up time ,or it stalls.mabe a different problem but would like to solve pinging befor she goes away for winter storage.any ideas would be appreciated greatly.
Can you pull the codes? You'll need to have an operational ALDL or access to those wires.

Also check for a stuck open EGR valve.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chphlds View Post
The 1227165 is the correct ECM for the car, the prom would be where the difference is between a 305 tpi and the 350 tpi for those years
The 16198262 is not compatible as it is SPEED density not AIRFLOW density. No MAF input is why it is lean and pingy ...etc...runs crappy when cold.
Definitly dont run the 16198262.
An 16198259 is a direct replacement compatible number for your ECM, of course the prom may need to be changed, or get a new one burned for your upgrades
you need a knock sensor if you want the best performance overall and to protect your engine.Dont overlook it.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Old & Furious

Those engines should not be prone to knocking. But if it had knock sensor and it was removed it should be in limp mode. You may want to put a timing light on the car and go thru the factory proceedure to set the timing manually. It might be to far off for the computer to fix. Also is the dizy in good shape. Cap, rotor, coil and moduale in good shape?

Did you change the plugs maybe the plugs are too hot or wrong type for the engine. Sorry cant help much with tpi i took mine out and tossed it on the floor of the shop. But the codes should tell some part of the story.

Check the computer number and see what it fit. Its probably for a firebird as well. They normally will have several ecus for each car. Std/auto and hardtop/convertable plus all the factory options. Not all ecus are provisioned for all features. Some cars my not require a knock sensor so the wireing and circuit for the sensor will not be built into the ecu.

Now of the knock sensor has been removed and the wires shorted this might allow the computer to advance the timing searching for the knock point. Not sure how smart the older ecus are. But it might have the timing maxed all the time thinking its running super fuel and not knocking so more timing is needed. But usally its more than just shorting wire together to trick the computer the knock sensor is happy.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:51 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
Those engines should not be prone to knocking. But if it had knock sensor and it was removed it should be in limp mode. You may want to put a timing light on the car and go thru the factory proceedure to set the timing manually. It might be to far off for the computer to fix. Also is the dizy in good shape. Cap, rotor, coil and moduale in good shape?

Did you change the plugs maybe the plugs are too hot or wrong type for the engine. Sorry cant help much with tpi i took mine out and tossed it on the floor of the shop. But the codes should tell some part of the story.

Check the computer number and see what it fit. Its probably for a firebird as well. They normally will have several ecus for each car. Std/auto and hardtop/convertable plus all the factory options. Not all ecus are provisioned for all features. Some cars my not require a knock sensor so the wireing and circuit for the sensor will not be built into the ecu.

Now of the knock sensor has been removed and the wires shorted this might allow the computer to advance the timing searching for the knock point. Not sure how smart the older ecus are. But it might have the timing maxed all the time thinking its running super fuel and not knocking so more timing is needed. But usally its more than just shorting wire together to trick the computer the knock sensor is happy.
Did you not read my post before posting?
He has the wrong ECM for an airflow type system. It is running way to lean and is in limp mode due to that.
A missing knock sensor will default to the last good timing curve, which should provide little if any performance deficiency (noticeable).
It will not force the ECM to run in limp mode.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:28 AM

Last journal entry: 34 street beast
Last photo:

thanks guys.puting in knock sensor and changing ecm.appreciate the advice.

Recent Modern Electronic Engines posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.