Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - t p i problems
Thread: t p i problems
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 08:27 AM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chphlds View Post
believe me,i don't take any thing the wrong way.i know you guys are trying to help,and I appreciate it.
I want to keep the t p I and am not concerned about speed.just like cruising and cruise nights.i have no preference in running maf or map.which ever will be the less costly.the cars runs fine,once warmed up,so I must be missing something.thanks for all your input.
OK I dont have a lot of info to go on. But do see a few things to look at by reading what others have posted. If you have a 9th injector that is not firing then it will not run properly when cold. This is the cold start injector.

Wiring harness in cars under the hood really need to be soldered and taped and shrink wrapped just to survive a few years must less the life of the car. Twisted or using butt connectors will not work it will also have high resistence and not function properly. The older computers were even more likely to not be happy when the connection are corroded.

If your tpi computer is setup for maf and you have a map sensor tpi system from an older car you may want to buy an older ecu to match. Yes you can reprogram and all types of other crap but a new ecu from ebay is under 100 bucks and may solve the problem straight out. if the rest of the system is setup correctly. The ecu for any tpi system is based on the car. No cars from different models had the same ecu. Best to get the one that belongs in what ever type of car the tpi came from. If its all stock then you have another problem that must be address. But make sure its wired and setup correctly.

Some cars and truck have the same systems but they may be wired to different pins in the computer. this can and does change from year to year.

If you can give me a full list of years and makes of all cars the tpi is from and where all the parts came from i can probably figure out where the disfunction is. I am willing to bet its the 9th injector and just needs the correct model ecu installed.

Not to be harsh or obnoxous in 1990 tpi was bad arse. But now its not really easy to keep going or its not all that reliable once it starts to fail. I hate to tell someone advice that will lead them down a road of spending more money than they want. Over time the tpi will be a money pit or a source of frustration. But it does work good when properly setup. That being said my vette has a carb!

No stock manifold tpi system can make 400 hp without boost or n2o.