Thread: t p i problems
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 07:53 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
What part of the tpi is a good system? Mine was junk. Replacement cost was more than it was worth and a carb makes more power with less problems. The tpi does not flow is its most killing problem even with all the best stuff stock manifolds will not make much more than 300 hp no matter what mods are done sep for boosting it.

Now with boost they work ok. great for turbos give good low end tq. But for NA engine that will spin over 6000 rpm then the tpi will not work. They are so small the engine will not make power above 5K rpm some say 4K rpm is the max for the system. My vette came with the best gm had to offer it was still crap.

The simple fact is clear to anyone that has any knowledge of tpi. It is designed to make max power at 2500 rpm. below that is good above that is good. But get to far away and it will clogged your engine worse than running a two barrel carb. Most two barrels will flow more air than the stock tpi system.

Yeah good system but if you want power let it go. get a bigger manifold and tbi or lt1 or edelbrock system or just a nice big carb. all are way better. Carb only cost a few hundred bucks and your back on the road.

you can not get the low end ft lb that a tpi gets..
telling the guy to just install a carb. is somewhat silly.. as you don't know if he has to pass emmissions.. and opening the hood and the tester see'n a carb will be instant fail..
why the tpi wasn't used in trucks.. other than cost..
I'll never know..