Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - t p i problems
Thread: t p i problems
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 05:16 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
I said in 1990 when it came out it was cool but now you can get multi point that is great for less than the cost of a full rebuild of the tpi system.

I am ok. i know for a fact tpi is junk. Sorry. a quick search will show that many ppl on this forum run carb over rebuilding a dying tpi system. If it works great but how long does that last.

TPI was not designed to last for 30 years of service. I would also not recommend running a system from the 80's or early 90's from ford or anyone else.

Make tpi right it takes a few things for a performance car. Not what the op is looking for but maybe this can shed some light on why i will not run one.

$200 New wiring harness.

$400 New injectors

$ 5000 New manifolds larger than factory. Yes this is for power edelbrock used to make some but they dropped the entire line a few years back.

$ 200 (price has dropped on these) New throttle body

$ 100 plus the maf New Sensors

$ 100 at least a hundred froma junk yard or more. MAF and plumbing from a newer car.

$ 100 plus the tuning time about 80 and hour. New ecu from a newer car with custom tune usally only a dyno tune will do.

Now you add all that stuff up and you have your self a money pit. that will still need a strong motor stuck under it. Its still over a grand just to get the parts to correct normal wear. then you need hop up parts as well and all those prices were on the cheap side.

I know alot about these systems and have tunred the page and not going back. But would be willing to help get it going if more info is provided.
I always try to be constructive on forums and respectful of other people's views and preferences. Also, I am usually one the guys that needs more advice than I give.
But with that being said, hcompton,

YOU ARE ALL WET!
Your pricing estimates are not even remotely accurate unless you are doing none of the work yourself and you buy the highest priced parts you can find. I believe that almost everyone on this forum is some form of DIY'er and I haven't noticed too many 'money is no object' types either.

FYI -
new wiring harness - built my own for less than $55
new injectors - $160 (SouthBay Fuel Injection)
new throttle body - why? Stock 48 mm flows more than 650 cfm which is plenty for cruisin' and tire burnin'
used manifold,runners, rails, plenum, ecm(s), distributor, sensors - $200 (ebay)
new MAF sensor - threw it in the garbage - Megasquirt doesn't need it
tuning - FREE - Megasquirt

I'll let you know my dyno numbers when I'm done and also what they were with the 650 Holley and then I'll let you know the mileage difference also.

If your comments aren't constructive and helpful, then they are destructive.

I'm done
The Following User Says Thank You to 64nailhead For This Useful Post:
LATECH (03-03-2013)