Thread: t p i problems
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 05:11 AM
sitis nam accelero

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
TPI blows it does not flow enough air in stock form and the aftermarket solutions are very costly once you get everything purchased and installed. USally wiring harness, upper lower and throttle body need to be replaced along with injectors and computer just to hit 300 hp. then the troubles really start costing money.

Junk the TPI install carb and intake drive car for next 20 years without problems.
Wow, seriously? The stock ECM is more than capable of handling decent power and a Holley StealhRam will fix that airflow issue and can be had for the same price you'd pay for a new carb, and won't gunk up and need to be rebuilt every so often like a carb will. With various fittings to hook up the MAP sensor, brake booster, fuel lines and a standard SBC water neck and hose to fit, it's a pretty easy swap and a retune is basic stuff for an experienced TPI tuner especially on a stock motor.

chphlds, with patience you can get this working like a happy camper. Between here and thirdgen's TPI forum there's a lot of knowledgeable and helpful folks. If you want someone to talk to over the phone while you are in looking at the project you might try calling Tempe Speed and Performance and ask for Leighton. He can be very helpful and may even know of a shop local to you, that is if he has recovered from his back surgery yet. I haven't been over to their new shop since they moved several months back ... But Leighton used to work for Arizona TPI before they closed doors and while working there was technical support for Painless and he can talk forEVER.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drewnashty For This Useful Post:
LATECH (03-03-2013)