t p i problems - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 03:36 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

If you are indeed running rich (smell fuel) at cold start, then do not hookup the 9th injector as its only purpose is to INCREASE fuel delivery at cold temps.

Looking back through the posts, your original question is still unanswered, about ECM part numbers. I think you should find out that answer from the person that put this setup on the car. HOPEFULLY, he will be more than helpful. As I mentioned earlier, the harness and memcal can be custom made to work on most any other TPI engine (except '85 that had the MAF Burnoff module).

Questions for the installer :
What exactly was done to the memcal in terms of custom programming? This answer should include what systems were turned off, i.e. VATS, A/C override, trans OD, and was any custom programming done to fuel tables, cold start tables, etc.

What exactly was done to the harness to get a MAP ECM to work with a MAF system in terms of ECM pinout changes? Like you mentioned in your original post, there is a 3 plug ECM with a 2 plug harness.

Is the engine stock? If not, then what has been done? Cam & injector sizing & fuel pressure increases are some of the most difficult to overcome with GM programming.

Hopefully, he can answer all of these questions precisely. Write down, record, scan whatever accurate info he can provide. From looking at your car in your profile pics it appears to be a professional looking job, I would assume and hope the engine install was also.

Now, more possible causes :
Where is the O2 sensor? Is there an 'X' pipe or crossover between the dual exhausts? The sensor needs to be in the 'X' or crossover.
Is the O2 sensor heated or non heated? I assume it is the original narrowband. A common situation that could be causing your issue is the stock nonheated O2 sensor was moved off from the manifold back to an 'X' pipe and it takes some run time to get warm enough to read accurately which in turns cause the engine to run overly rich until the exhaust gets heated.
As JoshP asked, is the MAF relay working properly? I believe the main purpose of that relay is to provide enough amperage to clean the MAF sensor. Incorrect MAF reading can cause a rich or lean condition.
You might have an injector(s) on the way out and not sealing properly until it gets some temperature into it.
You could have a severely biased or nonfunctioning intake temp sensor.

FYI, I figured it wouldn't be as easy as unplugging the 9th injector

Good luck!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 64nailhead For This Useful Post:
chphlds (01-05-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.