T5 Search Over? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2010, 08:17 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

T5 Testing

well, a guy is going to sell me his high mileage T5 from his V6, S15 truck which his son recently smashed. i'm going to put it in my 62 Chevy truck. gotta pick it up tomorrow. for $100 it's worth taking a chance. he said that it was working fine before the crash and i believe him. don't know though how badly his son abuse the trans after dad gave him the truck. anyway, i'm brainstorming to see if there is a way to turn the output shaft with a drill or something and see if it shifts well into all the gears. is there a simple way to accomplish this? when i take the cover off what should i look for as far as worn synchros goes? this is all new to me....

Last edited by tab; 04-18-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2010, 01:15 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

What year S-10? Keep in mind that GM switched over to the Ford case and bolt pattern on the S-10 in the 1990s. Also, the S-10s may have used an oddball 1" diameter, 14 spline input shaft. Be aware of these when you look at the trans.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:34 PM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

The cover will not come off until you remove the shifter block and remove the tail housing. It's a pain to get off sometimes. Also, check the length of the input shaft and front bearing retainer and compare them to the transmission that you have now. The 2.8 V6 transmission had a longer input shaft and bearing retainer, which will cause problems if it is longer than what you ahve in it now.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:48 PM

Last photo:

joe: just looked at the input shaft. it's a 14 spline 1"! why is this a problem? it came out of a 89, S15, V6. i bought it even tough it had an electronic speedo. i thought for sure the 89's had mechanical.....

someone just gave me an excellent link for Trans PDF manuals so now i know how to get a look inside. but there are more problems than just the 14 spline 1" input shaft. after i got it home i noticed, cracks in the tail-housing.

the guy said that if i had any problems i could return it to him. i might just do that..... but since i got the shifter and boot with it, it might be a good idea to keep it for the chevy bolt pattern and then i could buy a ford bolt pattern trans and switch the housing.

when i first began looking for a T5 trans, everyone (not you guys) made this switch sound easy. lol..... "you just get a T5 from an S10 pickup". well, i'm finding out that it's not that easy....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T5 crack.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	45255  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T5 crackII.jpg (111.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 04-19-2010, 01:55 PM

Last photo:

Looks like it might just be casting flaws on the surface. Is there any oil leakign from the area? If not then it's all right. This is pretty comon with cast aluminum. The bellhousings are the same way.

There is only one clutch disc that will work with the 14 spline input shaft and a full size fly wheel. The Astro van used a large disc with the small shaft and that's the only disc that you can use.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:05 PM

Last photo:

here's my quandary: i'm moving soon and have to drive this truck from texas to florida. i'd really like to have a 5sp for the trip plus this orig 3sp keeps hanging up on me. i have a mechanic who will do the entire job including shortening my driveshaft and cutting the floor pan et... he will do the job a heck of a lot cheaper than i could get it done in florida after i move. so i'm considering having him install this T5 even though i'll have no speedo (i'll put markings on a tach as my speedometer) and then when i get to florida, i will be able to search for the correct T5 at my leisure and it will be a relatively simple switch since the bullwork will have already been done. the only thing i might have to do is change out the clutch.

but one more question; are all the output shaft splines the same on T5's? if not that could interfere with my "simple" trans swap.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:26 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

you'll have a speedo.. should be able to put a cable in
Old 04-19-2010, 07:01 PM

Last photo:

matt: i think that i have to change out the tailhousing to get a cable speedo right?

i got the top cover off. here are some pics. everything looks good except for one gear 1st? which has some minor chipping but no big deal. it's hard to see and don't know if you can tell from the pics. the ONLY thing that i can't tell is if the synchros are good. oh, there are lots of metal fragments on the magnet. nothing huge. is that normal?

can those synchros be easily changed?

is there something specific that i should check?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGA0037.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	45262   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0038.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	45263   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0039.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	45264   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0040.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	45265   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0041.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	45266  

Old 04-19-2010, 08:57 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I think for the speedo cable, you just need the adaptor part thing that goes in place of the VSS
Old 04-20-2010, 06:25 AM

Last photo:

Looks like it's probably in pretty good shape. Changing the blocker rings requires a complete disassembly of the transmission.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:22 AM

Last photo:

after i get this trans installed, i'll look for another which i will rebuild and keep as a B/U trans.

another question? because the input shaft is longer than the stock by about 1/2", can't i just make a spacer plate from a 1/2" piece of aluminum? since all T5 transmissions have the same length input shaft, a spacer plate will facilitate a trans swap down the road right?
Old 04-20-2010, 09:30 AM

Last photo:

All T5 transmission do not have the same length input shaft. All GM T5 transmissions do not have the same length input shaft. All S10 T5 transmissions do not have the same length input shaft.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:53 AM
More for Less Racer

The spacer idea will work but you will have to start with material thicker than the 1/2" finished thickness due to the fact that you will have to machine a register ring on the adapter to fit the hole in the bellhousing and step the other side of the hole in the spacer to fit the bearing retainer's outside diameter on the trans.

The bearing retainer to bellhousing hole fit is how the trans is aligned with the crank centerline, so the retainer has to be a tight fit to the hole in the spacer and the spacer has to register in the bellhousing hole to maintain this alignment. The trans mounting bolts don't align the trans, they just hold it to the bellhousing.

You may also have to machine a custom pilot bearing depending on the tip size of the input shaft and what bearings are available.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:23 PM

Last photo:

thanks for the replies. but now i'm stuck. i looked inside the trans and this morning went to put it back together but i'll be damned if i can get that cover plate with the shifter forks back on properly.

i took a pic of the cover and there's a roundish piece in the center that fits in a groove in the cover. it's basically round with some cuts out of it. then there's a rectangular piece attached to the shifter arm that engages the forks but i don't see how to arrange all of this when reinstalling the top cover. also, i THINK that the trans needs to be in 4th gear so that the top-cover bolt holes are aligned. as it stands the holes are not aligned when i get the shifter forks aligned onto the recesses of the gears.

i just ordered a video on how to rebuild a T5 but that won't be here for several days. but right now all i need to do is get this $%^%! top-cover and the tailhousing on. this is very frustrating. all i wanted to do was look inside the %$^%^#$!!! trans....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	top-cover.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	45288  

Last edited by tab; 04-20-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:29 AM

Last photo:

The T5 is a difficult transmission to work on. Getting all of the shift linkage aligned can be hard, but if you just keep messing with it you will get everything in place. When you get the shift linkage worked out you can put the cover on with the transmission in neutral. Just wait until you try to get the shifter block back in place with the ball, spring and roll pin.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.