T5 or Toploader - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 08:40 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

T5 or Toploader

Right now i have a toploader in my possession. I haven't checked it out yet, but i was told it was in good condition as far as gears and syncros. It was kept inside, but it was left without a cover on it.

So my plans for a motor are tentative at this point. Because of money, i will probably find a 302 or 351w for cheap and drop that in my 69 mustang. Eventually though, i would like to make a 408 with my 1969 351w block... so lots of power and torque.

My question is, should i keep my toploader and maybe have to rebuild it, or should i try to find a new toploader or T5? Or maybe a world class T5?

I have seen some interest in a few people buying my toploader too... so that also plays in. Any ideas for a fair price on the toploader would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Travis

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2009, 08:41 AM

Last wiki edit: First paint job Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

If you build that motor it will probaly kill the T5 with the torque it would produce. There were many different T5 made and they all look the same except for the ID tag on the top and the input shaft diameter.
You will need a World class T5 and they handle 265 or 300 foot lbs of torque depending on the car it came out of.
Here is a tech sheet for all of the years
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/349.shtml

If you are making LOTS of torque, go with a Tremec.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:54 AM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

T5s are made by Tremec now, I have seen a lot of high powered engines cause failures in the TKO trannies as well. If you want the strongest tranny, you have it. The Top Loader is hard to beat for strength. It's only shortcomings are a 1:1 top gear ( no O.D.) and an external shift lenkage. In you application the shift linkage isn't an issue since the car was designed around one. If OD is important to you then the Heavier TKO trannies are the next best thing.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:31 AM

Last wiki edit: First paint job Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Tremec also makes the TKO. Tremec brand, bought the T5 design and tooling from Borg Warner in 1997. Another downside is you will need to cut and modify the tunnel to get a TKO Tremec in the Mustang. The T5 will fit without cutting although you will need a different transmission mount.
G Force and Modern Driveline offer new and improved gearsets and T-5's that can handle up to 600hp. BUT COST $$$
Agreed, the toploader is very tough transmission but the lack of OD makes lots of RPMs at freeway speed.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:58 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

I knew that the TKO was Tremec, I assumed that was known. But from the post it didn't seem that it was known that the T5 was also. I have one of each, still in the box in the shop. The TKO is massive by comparison, but is the desired one to use in Cobra replicas.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:22 PM
"Don't need no V/8"-grandpaw

top L. and o/d

T-5 deff. won't take bunches of tQ = how bout your TL and an OD like HOne. Sure It cost bucks , but what does not
Old 01-30-2009, 07:27 PM

You also need to know which toploader you have. There were big block and small block versions; both with close ratio or wide ratio. A properly cammed 406" will have enough torque to pull street gears without an overdrive. You've got the best street four-speed ever built. Why choose a toy 5-speed and worry every time you pull a gear?

thnx, jack vines

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.