T5 transmission?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 06:27 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

T5 transmission??

I have a 93 chevy S10 that i bought used and the guy i got it off of said that the original T5 trans went out and he put in a T5 out of a mustang. I have heard that this can be done but when you let the clutch out in neutral it the throw out bearing "GRRRS!" at you and you can feel the trans vibrating. He said he put a new clutch in it when he did the trans swap but who knows. The clutch pedel is right at the top which makes me think that maybe this was the first clutch replacement and that the flywheel was turned before making the clutch be right at the top. The truck has about 190,000 miles on it so i know it is needing some general maintenance. I just did know if the throw out bearing was the same for a ford T5 and a GM T5, pilot bearing.....are there any real differences?

Thanks in advance!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2009, 06:48 AM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemigremmy
I have a 93 chevy S10 that i bought used and the guy i got it off of said that the original T5 trans went out and he put in a T5 out of a mustang. I have heard that this can be done but when you let the clutch out in neutral it the throw out bearing "GRRRS!" at you and you can feel the trans vibrating. He said he put a new clutch in it when he did the trans swap but who knows. The clutch pedel is right at the top which makes me think that maybe this was the first clutch replacement and that the flywheel was turned before making the clutch be right at the top. The truck has about 190,000 miles on it so i know it is needing some general maintenance. I just did know if the throw out bearing was the same for a ford T5 and a GM T5, pilot bearing.....are there any real differences?

Thanks in advance!!!
Not sure about the pilot bearing size but I do know that the Borg Warner T-5 that came in the Mustang GT's are junk. We had bought my son a 93 Mustang Gt for his birthday and the tranny went out within a month. Replaced it with another stock one and it lasted 2 days. Bought another one that had been completely rebuilt from an honest tranny rebuilder with all upgraded internals and it lasted the longest but eventually went out after about 7 months. Now don't think for a minute that I am blaming all this on junk equipment, he got his ear full too about hotrodding it hard. Personally I could have drove that car for years with the stock tranny and never had a problem but I was a kid once too so I know what happened. They say the World Class T-5's are the best.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:04 AM

Last journal entry: And then this happened...
Last photo:

T-5

I have a GM version of the T-5 that came in a '89 Firebird with a 305 that I'm going to put in an El Camino with a mild 350. Everyone here says "don't do it, you'll break it," but like you, I think I can make it live. Is the noise a bearing in the trans? I didn't know the GM and the Ford trans could interchange. I thought the front mount to the bellhousing was different.
BTW- hemigremmy... I haven't seen you here since you went in the hospital. I'm glad to see you back and hope to see more pics in your journal. I was following your build.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:10 AM

Last journal entry: And then this happened...
Last photo:

ooops!

I just dropped by the project journals and I see you are not the same hemigremmie. Sorry.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:47 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONNYinWAXHAW
I have a GM version of the T-5 that came in a '89 Firebird with a 305 that I'm going to put in an El Camino with a mild 350. Everyone here says "don't do it, you'll break it," but like you, I think I can make it live. Is the noise a bearing in the trans? I didn't know the GM and the Ford trans could interchange. I thought the front mount to the bellhousing was different.
BTW- hemigremmy... I haven't seen you here since you went in the hospital. I'm glad to see you back and hope to see more pics in your journal. I was following your build.
Actually it is the internal parts that interchange so a guy can build a stronger t-5 in the case he has..Check with some of the t-5 builders on that to confirm..

Sam
Old 03-15-2009, 02:12 AM

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Wiki Edits: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONNYinWAXHAW
I thought the front mount to the bellhousing was different.
Late Chevy applications used the Ford bolt pattern on the front of the case. Same case was used by both GM and Ford. Early Chevrolets used the normal Chevy pattern while Ford used the Ford pattern.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemigremmy
I have a 93 chevy S10 that i bought used and the guy i got it off of said that the original T5 trans went out and he put in a T5 out of a mustang. I have heard that this can be done
Thanks in advance!!!
I don't think you can interchange the Ford pattern S-10 T5 with a Mustang T5. I have a T5 from a '93 S10 sitting on the shelf and although it has a Ford mounting pattern, it has a 1 1/8" GM style input shaft with a .590 dia. pilot bearing snout. I'm pretty sure that the Mustang T5 input shaft is not the same. Most likely, that's where your problem is.

Bob
Old 03-15-2009, 06:11 PM

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Wiki Edits: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobscogin
I'm pretty sure that the Mustang T5 input shaft is not the same.

Bob
The GM & Ford inputs are different. Most Fords are either 9-5/16" long or 9-35/64" long. Most GM are 8-13/16" long. As well as other differences.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.